Outfished By The KID!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Garrett Cope, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Took my fiancee's 9 year old son Daniel fishing at Griggs reservoir tonight and he outfished me again. He caught a nice 25" 5 1/2 lb channel. I did have to do a little reeling for him when it got close to the big rocks near the bank (he lost one in the rocks earlier this week that had to have been at least 10 lbs) because it was on his litttle "bait" rig. Nothing like fighting a decent cat on a 5' light rod with no drag then having to net him with one arm on the pole and one on the net while balancing on a mossy rock! Almost fell in. The boy was thrilled that this one didn't get away! And thanks again to JerryB. Those rod holders he picked up for us have saved the kid from losing any more combos.

Attached Files:

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    tell him congrats on the nice channel garrett

3. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Way to go Daniel. Soon enough you will be out there chasing them Flatheads! Congrats again on the good fish buddy!

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Great job. Thanx for sharein the pics. Thats one horny male rite there. LOL!

5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the pics and story! Congrats on a very nice channel!!

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thank you Garrett for the post an the "Priceless" pics of the young man an fish!

7. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Very cool. Some of my very best fishing memories are ones that include my kids.

8. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    glad to hear he got this one, them rod holders are help full your right about that i like your lip gripers in that last pic, i got a set with a scale in them, they help us treat the fish better don't they,plus it s easier to get a pic with them thanks for the story and pis:wink: oh i all most forgot, buddy by him out fishing you, and you taking him, your starting that fire in him to love the out doors and fishing, that in its self is worth the skunking

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats Garrett ! That's awesome! :smile2: I mean... Not you got out fished, but the kid done well! :wink: Nothing like taking your kids fishing, or even someone elses for that matter. It is always a fun trip, and one that will be likely remembered not only by them, but yourself for a very long time! :big_smile: Reps. to ya man! rollo

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Garrett for sharing the story and pics. Tell the boy congrats on a nice fish and a job well done on light equipment.

11. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Thanks Rich and i Want to let you and anyone else know about a problem with the lip gripper scales. The set in the pics is a Rapala Pro Guide 75 lb model i picked up at a great price. I think they'll be great for flatheads but i've weighed a number of decent sized channel cats on them now and i DON'T recommend them for channel cats. Because of the soft tissue in the lower jaw of channels the larger sized grips jaws dig into this tissue and i've had a hell of a time getting them out without seriously injuring the fish. Thankfully the fish were ok when released but i won't be using these scales for channel cats of any size in the future for this reason. I also don't think the 75 lb grips are all that accurate for smaller fish so i'll be getting a smaller set (with the smaller pinchers) for channels and smaller flatheads. Just an FYI for anyone who's interested in this type of scale.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009