Outer Banks Saltwater Report

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Jul 9, 2007.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Got back from the outer banks yesterday, fished 3 nights, into the early morning, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It was a great time for the most part, but I was dissapointed that there were so many rude people, on the Nags Head pier that was a group of kids around my age that were very annoying, they were even out there smoking weed, and drinking, and they are only like 16-17yr old. Then there were some older guys out there trying to boss everyone around and tell everyone how to fish and from what I saw they were very ignorant about fishing. Then Friday morning on the Avalon pier, a guy came out there and starting cussing and fussing at us saying we were not suppose to move the little benches around, and we had not even moved them at all, and he fussed at us saying we "had too many Damn poles on the pier" and we had never been there before and didn't know the pole limit, and all we had was 2 poles (total) more than the limit, just a couple bait poles that weren't in the water. We obey the rules on the piers and don't mind being told something, but there was no need for him to act the way he did. Saturday morning, a different older guy came out there on the Avalon pier and did the same exact thing and this time we didn't even have any extra poles or anything.

As far as the fishing goes, it was pretty slow, Thursday night we didn't get anything but a few skates, Friday night, I caught 2 sharks, around 3-4ft I guess. And Saturday night we fished down at Buxton off the point for the first time, and my Dad got about a 4ft shark, and that was the only good bite all night. I don't know what was wrong, we fished until morning out there as well, and nobody caught anything from what I saw. The people down around Buxton seemed a lot nicer and more serious about fishing.

Other than that, we caught some Blue fish off the piers the two mornings we were out there.

Here are the pictures of the sharks.

Attached Files:

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Cool I have caught Cobia King Mack and yellowfin but never a shark good job.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, they were small Sharks though. Shark fishing is just like Catfishing really so you would probably be good at it, only difference really is you need to use Steel Leader and sometimes cast at least 100 yards. They fight a lot like Catfish too, my biggest right now is a 7-8ft Nurse Shark and it really didn't feel a lot different than a huge Blue cat. My biggest Cobia is only like 10 pounds, I really want to catch a big Cobia, they put up an unbelievable fight. I've caught one King Mackeral, 23 pounder, and it was a great fight, esspecially since I was using an Ambassadeur 6000 on a medium action pole....lol I've caught a lot of small Yellowfin.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the report, i'll be at the outer banks late next month. From what i've heard the surf fishing ain't good this time of the year so I guess I will be hopping on a charter boat to find some action.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah man, it's rough right now. Hey if you're intrested in a charter though, my Dad and I are putting together a trip, but it will probably be around the end of July. My Dad worked with the captain for a while when the guy was a commercial fisherman, he's a great guy and can put you on some serious fish. I know we have at least 1 spot left right now, only thing is, the only dates he has are on Sundays and Mondays. Let me know if you're intrested though man.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My cousin left for Portsmouth island last Wednesday and got home this morning. They had a pretty good trip with alot of black drum, mullet, and a few nice red drum.

Get away from the light brother.

Get you a 4 wheel drive truck, rip the bed off and put a flat steel bed on it.
    Take a slide in camper and put on the flatbed and hit those remote islands.
    You wont have to worry about the jerks and you'll get into some fish.
    Carry what you'll need cause there aint no stores out there. Just sand and saltwater.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well we were with someone else this time, and it was thier truck, we've never had a 4-wheel drive truck. So we were kind of limited in a way, although the point we fished off of is famous for big fish, and HUGE sharks. I definitely agree though getting away from all the people and stuff is great!!!

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the report. Love the OBX. Do you fish the Bonner Bridge catwalk at all? I've caught alot of fish from it.

Hey, is that charter a Gulf Stream charter? If so, you're in for some nice fishing. I went on one last year out of Oregon Inlet and it was awesome. Got into a school of nice Dolphin and they kept us busy. Hard fighting and pretty fish. We missed the Tuna, but I hope to catch a few when I go this year. There were some scattered Cobia as well on some other boats.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Never fished Bonner bridge as far as I know.

Yeah the charter is Gulfstream, it is a blast, we went out a few years ago and got huge Dolphin, Amberjack, and my Dad hooked up with a nice Blue Marlin for like half an hour at least and then it got off!!! :(