Outer Banks, North Carolina

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by JPritch, Nov 8, 2006.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Awww man, I just found this saltwater forum on here. Awesome!

Anybody else like to fish the OBX? I go down a couple times a year and love it! I went offshore in Sept and we caught our limit of Dolphin, and then some in less than two hours. It was amazing fishing in the Gulf Stream.

When I'm not fishing on a boat, I head to the Bonner Bridge catwalk. I haven't caught any biggies there yet, but it sure is fun.

2. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I went to the outer banks several times as a kid. It's beautiful, i would love to get back out there and fish sometime. Good luck!

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I go a lot, esspecially in past years. Haven't gotten to go much this year yet, but hope to go at least once before the years over.

4. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Been there twice and caught many fish from a charter, pier, and surf. Caught my first shark from the surf this year. I LOVE IT.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you are into chopper blues (blues 10-20 lbs) they'll be blitzing the beaches around Thanksgiving.
    Red drum the big ones 25-50 pounds are caught at night from the surf.
    Fish in total blackout mode. And dont drive on the beach running the headlights, you are apt to have them broken out unbeknownst to you while you are fishing or some will will just blatantly walk up and kick them out whether you are looking or not.

The giant yellowfin come in this month too. Now thats a good charter to take.
    Hook up on a 600 pound tuna is awesome.

Now is the time to go to the beach to fish. If you only go in the summer and expect real fishing you are wasting your time.
    Buy some hip waders or chest waders if you think the water is cold but the water wont get too cold until up into December. It takes half the summer for the northerly flowing warm gulfstream waters to overcome the southerly flowing Labrador currents. In the winter it reverses procedure. Ever wonder what makes the NC coast the graveyard of the Atlantic? The cold Labrador currents collide with the warm Gulfstream currents right off of Cape Hatteras. The currents out there are ripping and tumbling creating shoals and general dispare to a boat in trouble.
    Just like the Monitor wreck they found a few years ago. The currents only allow divers a few weeks a year to dive on the site and the current is still a factor.
    In fact I've stood in the water in November to keep my feet warm.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great info Mark!

I think I'm gonna schedule another weekend getaway and see if I can hook into some of those big blues you mention!

And man, those big yellowfins are very tempting.....they are catching limits of the smaller ones now. I couldn't imagine hooking into a 600 lb fish, wow! I'm going to have to check into that.

Thank You

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A blue blitz is awesome. big schools of choppers come in close chasing baitfish.
    They blitz the beaches pushing the terrified bait right up onto dry land.
    it's definately one rod per fisherman fishing because if you have 2 or 3 rods out all will get slammed about the same time and they drag your unattended gear rod holder and all into the surf.

Blues arent worth a flip to freeze but I like to eat a fresh blue.
    You have to bleed them but I choose to fillet them right on the spot and get the fillets on ice. Its not legal but I dont think there is any question about size when you are into chopper blues. I'll only keep 2 or 3 at the time anyway.
    Its about like eating a dove to me. I like them once or twice a year and I've had my fill. There are better eating birds flying and better fish swimming.:big_smile:

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Went out that way in the boat about a month ago just to check it out. Got closer to the furthest eastern point of cape hatteras and I saw some pretty big waves on a calm night. I only have a 17' boat so I turned around, didnt want to add my boat or myself to the graveyard. The speckled trout are pretty thick right now biting on live shrimp,mud minnows and assorted lures. The small craft advisory is still in effect so I guess I will have to stay within the shallows of the bays.