Outdoor Show!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by ste6168, Feb 16, 2009.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Anyone going down to the convention center for the outdoors show this weekend? I will probably go down once or twice to check it out. Always nice to get a few free cans of chew :smile2:

2. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I hear that!! I usually walk away with a whole bag full. Im going down for sure, just not sure what day. My buddy went to the big one in Harrisburg and said that alot of vendors werent there. I guess the economy is hitting the big boys too.

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i stopped going to it for several years as it is mostly guides selling trips to hunt or fish, or people selling tickets to win something. decided to go last year and it was the same thing but worse. very few vendors selling hunting or fishing items and the ones that are charge an arm and a leg. it used to be great when it first started but it changed with time for the worse and i won't be going anymore. a few cans of Cope or pouches of long leaf don't justify the drive. the harrisburg show is where the vendors go and if it wasn't to good then this one will be really bad.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I was about to say the same thing! 1st of all they rob you like $10 to get in, then its so crowded that you sweat like a pig. It used to be that you could find good deals on stuff but not anymore so unless your going to see outfitters to book a trip its a big waste of time.
    I remember when they 1st started having this show it was in the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in the concessions area, then it moved to the David Lawrence Convention Center for a few years, then it moved to the Monroeville Expo Mart.

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    from what i heard from a few of the vendors that i used to talk to is that they charge so much for space at the show for space when the show is here its not worth it to them to come here. they charge double what it is at harrisburg show if not more. the vendors liked it here but buisness is buisness and some were almost starting in a hole from the get go. alot of the local type vendors would go to harrisburg instead of here so what does that say. its a shame as it used to be a great place to go and find things you could not get elsewhere. you can see neat things online but its alot better if you get to put it in your hand to judge if it will be useful or not to you. sad to say but greed killed this once great show.

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    My anxiety would not allow me into a crowd like that and I used to go to dirt track races every weekend the heart attack messed me up I'm scared to go to walmart I have to take a pill,very sad:sad2:

7. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Im goin down tonight. Like everybodies sayin, its pretty much worthless, but Im trying to get a hunt set up for when my dad gets over this cancer, so down we go to at least scope it out. He has a doctors appointment at West Penn anyway so its not really out of the way. I'll let ya know how much of a waste of time it was.:wink:

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    well how was it Justin?

9. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    It was about like everyone, including me, expected. There were a good many outfitters, mostly Lake Erie charters and Western Elk/Mule Deer guys, some Kansas and Illinois whitetail guys, plus the various "canned hunt" farms from around PA. A good many boats, quads, UTV's, and crossbows, crossbows, crossbows. Very few people selling anything, let alone anything useful. All the crossbow stuff and I could only find 1 guy selling anything for compounds, and he had very little. There was a guy selling 13 pound climbers which could be mine for the low low Sport Show price of only $209!!! I bought 4. LMAO:smile2: Not a catfishing thing in sight and only 1 guy selling rods/reels, most of which were bass rods and trolling reels with line counters. I was hoping to atleast find some info about a decently priced antelope or mule deer hunt, which I did, now I just have to wait and pray that everything goes well with the transplant:cross:. I got info from a couple different guys. I talked to a guide, not the outfitter, for one place out of Gillette, Wy and when I called the outfitter today, it just so happened that he leases some ground for Mulies in North Dakota that Ive hunted for geese. Small world. Anyhow, long as everything goes OK, we should be goin for a combo praire dog/coyote with rifle and archery pronghorn hunt next year.

10. Dmcsa1201

Dmcsa1201 New Member

State:
    Shaler/Pit
    yea i didnt see on thing that i was really satisfied with. i missed the guy talking about musky fishing which was mostly one of the reasons i went down. I wanna get me one of them bastards. But yea nothing good down there really.

11. reaglebeagle

reaglebeagle New Member

State:
    Kittanning, Pennsylvania
    I got to see the guy talk about musky fishing. I talked to one of his guides at their booth. They were offering a trip for two guys fishing for two days and it included lodging and one meal a day for $550. They were out of KY.
    He said it was only 3 1/2 hrs from Pittsburgh. I am planning on a trip next year.