Outdoor Articles

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Feb 4, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Just wanted to let those of you that are interested in the Outdoor Articles I have written that the web page has changed. I now have all of them that I can find at this time posted on there. There are 34 articles covering hunting, fishing, general items and trapping. I now have them paginated so it is much easier, since you only load the Content page and the articles are all linked to individual pages. Enjoy!

http://www.gbso.net/actor/storiesandArticles.htm

Garry-

2. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    THANKS GARRY ILL READ THEM TONIGHT WHEN IM NOT AT WORK LOL

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Garry, Can you help me straighten out my wife? That woman is outta control lol.

4. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great articles Garry! Thanks for sharing them with us!

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i didn't know slip-floats were invented yet back then:wink: rollo

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the articles Gary!

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You never know Skip .... bring her to the Sinker making party and I will have a word with her ....... :cool2:

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Yep, they sure were .... But let me tell you another tale about using slip bobbers way before that ... I went to Canada fishing in 1963 ... and was trying to use persch for bait on the big ones but couldn't get the bait out and down to about 15 to 18 feet where they were .... so that following winter with having not much to do to fill my time, decided to try and remedy the problem. So I decided that if I had a big bobber with a hole in the center that would slide on the line I could put a stop on it ... somewhere up the line and I could go to any depth I wanted, but I also wanted a bobber that was heavy enough to give me weight for casting it out ... so decided it had to be made of wood ... the only problem was that I couldn't find a drill bit that was about 1/32 in Dia. and about 8 inches long. I finally fould one that was about 2 inches long. I took pieces of wood 3 inches square and drilled a hole in the center of each one .... I had a stack of them about 10 inches high .... I ran a fine wire through the center and glued them all together and then with the help of and electric sander shaped them into the shape of a bobber.

In those days we or I didn't have monofilament line just braided. I pulled the line trough with the help of the wire running through them ... the next problem was, what to use as a stop on the line ... I fianally came up with using a small piece of lead ... this worked only about 50 to 60 per cent of the time ... the rest of the time it hung on a eye in the rod. But all in all it was successful. So in 1964 when I went to Canada fishing I used and caught some nice pike and a few nice small bass. Then I loaned it to a friend to use in Canada .... and of course he lost it ... and I decided it was too much of a bother to make another one.

As far when they actually came on the market ... I have no idea ... but my idea at the time was original ... at least to me and everyone I knew.

Garry-

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Garry for the information....I'll be sure and check it out