Outboards?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by wiskeredwarrior101, May 6, 2007.

1. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have recently baught a 14' flat bottom tracker boat and i wanna get a used outboard but theyre just too darn expensive for my tastes right now im using a minn-kota 100lb thrust turbo troller but id like some real power to get me around. do you guys/gals have any suggestions on how to find a used motor thats not too much? i was thinking just talk to some people that have old brush covered boats in their yards what do you think?

2. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I just went thru the same thing twice.
    I ended up purchasing a 5 HP Suzuki that is in CHERRY condition for $300.00. I did have to drive 75 miles one way to pick it up.
    Also call your local dealers for used engines they may have in stock. (Fall and winter is better for that.) I just bought a used 25 HP Honda that had less than 20 hours on it for $2000.00 less than the retail price from a dealer's stock.
    It sounds like no answer at all but start watching the newspaper, E-bay, Craigslist, auctions, ect. ect. There is a deal out there you just need to find it.
    My best luck from mechanical items like outboards has come from watching E-Bay for auctions that are within 100 miles of my house. I contact the seller and try to go look at the item.

Unless you know a lot about outboards try to make arrangements to take the engine by a dealer or mechanic before purchasing.

Good luck

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Beware of the brush covered motors unless you are savvy with outboards.
    My engine sat for 6 years.
    Carbs rebuilt
    Crack and corroded wiring fixed or replaced
    Power pack replaced
    Water pump replaced
    Fuel pump rebuilt
    Tilt trim motor and pump replaced. Motor alone new would be 575 bucks but thanks to Ebay I got the pump and motor for 147.

Am I through yet Bob?
    I'd say probally not.:crazy:

Would financing an outboard new or good used be an option?

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    It just depends on what you want to spend on it. If you want new you will spend more, but you wont have to worry about what the person before you did to it. If you get used, make sure you get it checked out real good before you buy it.

5. lamudslinger76

lamudslinger76 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Try checking around at some pawn shops. I had priced them new and also found they were pricey. I searched around and finally found a 5 hp Mariner at a pawn shop for 350.00 and a 30 day warranty. It runs like a top. Best 350.00 I ever spent.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Check around at your local repair shops, etc.. Alot of times they have newly rebuilt for a fair price..