outboards hard to start after..............

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Iowa_Josh, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I've got my motor tuned up ok. It starts great in a barrel. It restarts great, hot, cold, it's all good in the barrel. When I put it on the boat and drive somewhere, it's hard to start. It takes a lot of pulls. Any ideas? '68 Johnson 18hp. I've had this happen with my 9.8 merc too.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hmmmmm, I wonder if your carbureator bowl is getting fuel. Why not pull the bowl's plug the next time and see if there is fuel in the bowl. Could be trash in the fuel lines also. But it should start just as easy at the lake/river as it does in the barrel. Just seems to me it would be a carb issue. Course, lol, it also could be a spark... have you checked the compression...that does a lot of funny things. You also could be getting a stronger pull when both feet are on the ground than you are twisted around with you hind end on the seat.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    A stronger pull? I've never thought of that. I guess the gas tank gets shaken up too. I wondered if I primed it different when I climbed in the boat or something. I know it wouldn't take much of a change to get a big change in effect.

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I had a motor do the same thing to me a while back, turned out to be junk and some water in the fuel tank,when it sat at home and I'd try it it would run fine as all the junk in the gas tank would settle and not get sucked into the motor,but when the boat rocked around and sloshed the gas in the tank it would mix it up and foul things up quick. I replaced the fuel filter I had on inline and bought a new gas tank with fresh gas and had no problems after that,not sure if this is YOUR problem but a gas tank don't cost much to try it out and hope it's that easy.

5. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Are you using the same fuel supply ( tanks ) for both applications, in the barrel and on the boat? It does seem to sound like a fuel problem.

:cool2:

6. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Josh I drained my tank and put new fuel with a conditioner called seafoam and that improved the starting and performance all together.I also put a inline filter that only cost a couple dollars

but the seafoam did wonders for the starting and performance it also cleans the carb and the tank also

7. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    You MUST set the idle mixture out on the water, if you set it in a barrel chances are it'll be off due to back pressure issues....

Hard starts (Especially after a tune-up) are often caused by too lean a fuel mixture, either warm it up and reset the idle mixture or turn the idle screw out (counter clockwise) an 1/8 turn and try it ..... It's better to be a tad too rich than a tad too lean both for starting and proper lubrication

Another symptom of a too lean condition is the motor will hesitate/bog when you go from idle to full throttle real fast

8. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Josh,
    I had same sort of problems and what I found was the inside of fuel tank looked fine, what I could see. But I found that the top of the inside of the tank had rust and crud on it I could not see. I would clean the carbs, go to the river, run fine for a while then act up. Well the stuff on the top of the tank would come loose from the fuel sloshing around while hauling and eventualy cause problems. I gave the tank a good cleaning, put new fuel line and primer bulb on and installed a water separating spin on cartridge fuel filter. No problems since.
    Plus I started to run sea foam in the fuel always.
    larry