Outboard swap questions

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Catter, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Hiya BP, my brother-in-law has a pontoon with a 50hp yamaha 2 stroke on it and an alumaweld bass type boat with a 25hp force on it. The problems are that the pontoon needs more motor and the bass boat needs another motor. We were thinkin of takin the yamaha and putting it on the bass boat and getting another yamaha for the toon, maybe a 90hp or so. My question is would the same controls/cables work on the toon for both motors and would we need to buy a complete cable setup for the bass boat or just the ends? We were also goin to make a jack plate like the one you made in the library. (very nice job for sure)

Would there be any other issues we need to keep an eye out for when doin this and do you see any problems with the plan as is? Any models we need to steer clear of?

Thanks a ton for your help BP, your truly a great asset to this board.

Joe

2. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Most toons take a long shaft and the other boat may have a short shaft could cause cavitation problems.

3. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Thanks for the reply Joe. The motor from the toon is a long shaft for sure. We were going to try our hand at making one of BP's fancy jackplates to raise it up on the bassboat. Might look kinda weird but it should work alright. Hopefully after we get started on this we can do some re-arranging on the bass rig to change it to a cat rig. We've been tossing around a few ideas on layouts but that as far as we've went with it until the motors get done.

Joe

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'm having one hell of a time tonight figuring out what you want and how to answer it, but here goes.

Transfer your 50 yamaha, control box and cables to the bass boat, Or transfer your 50 yamaha to the bass boat and get a new control box and cables for it. The force controls are out of the picture.

Now get a yamaha of your choice in 2 stroke for the pontoon. Chances are good, the control box and cables will fit the next yamaha

5. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Thanks Bobpaul, thats about what we were thinkin. Sorry the post was kinda rambled.

If we get a new motor for the toon would it have to be a 2-stroke in order to mate up with the existing cables/box?

Or could we get the prefered 4-stroke because of milage/quietness.

Thanks again for your help,

Joe

6. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Make sure your bass boat can handle a 50 horse motor! If it has a 15" transom, then it's probably only rated to 25.

As for the pontoon, 2 or 4 stroke will make no difference. If it were mine though, I'd go with a 4 stroke Mercury Bigfoot model. It has a lower gear ratio better suited to displacement types hulls such as pontoons.