Outboard question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by riverdawg-1, Mar 15, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I was given a old sears outboard. I think its a 70's model? It ran good the first time I used it but after a few minutes it cut off. I let it sit for awhile and it started and did the same thing. Now I can't get it started, I can spray a touch of starting fluid in it and it firwes right up for 10 secs. Anybody have any suggestions? I think it may be the carb is dirty, but don't I need A rebuild kit to do that? The serial number is: 101616. It also has chassis number for parts:17 58520. THANKS

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I forgot to add the guy that gave it to me said it was either a 7.5 or a 10 hp

3. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I would check the gas tank first. Is it a metal tank? The old metal tanks will rust and cause lots of problems. If the tank is metal and got a lot of rust in it I would think about getting a new plastic tank.

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I looked in the gas tank, it is still shiny.

5. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    To me it sounds like it is having a hard time getting fuel from the tank to the carb, or your spark plugs, but they would have to be royally bad to cause that i would think.

6. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    check your lines and make sure there is no dry rot or cracks also unscrew the drain plugs on the bowl of the carb see how much gas is going in them. you also need to do a compression test and check your stater for good fire

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would venture to say your carb needs attention. It is more than likely a fuel related problem. That means tank, hose, pump and carbs. You have checked the tank, and thats okay. The hose is still in good shape and not depreciating, you can tell by having little black flakes caught on the screen of the fuel pump and in the carb bowl. If you have them, replace the hose. The fuel pump is fairly easy to tell... look at the diaphragm - is it cracked, is it hard and brittle, or does it have holes in it. If so, rebuild the fuel pump. The carbs - that old of a motor that has not been ran regularly should have the carbs rebuilt just as a matter of course. Doesn't hurt a darn thing to rebuild them - kits are about $10.00 to $30.00, depending on the motor. You do that and your running problems should be over.