Outboard Question 25 Hp Merc

Discussion in 'Boating' started by bulldog2, Oct 8, 2009.

1. bulldog2

bulldog2 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Anybody good with outboard motors? I just got a used 1997 25 hp Merc which appears to be in very good shape. Starts at first pull. I haven't put it in the water yet but I put muffs when I test it. I don't run it for very long (about 1-2 minutes) because I notice that water does not come out of the water exit.

It sort of spits a bit at first but then stops. I don't know if I should run it longer since maybe the tsat has not opened yet. or put the water intake in s tub of water instead of using muffs.

I dropped the lower unit tonight and opened up the pump housing to check the impeller. Everything looked good. Also removed tsat and dropped it in boiling water and it opened. Blew compressed air thru water tube and felt it exit the tsat housing. Cleaned up lower unit and will reassemble tomorrow.

Didn't see anything unusual.

Maybe am not waiting long enough for the engine to warm up but I believe there is a bypass on the tsat that should let water out right away.

It looks like its never been opened before. I greased the driveshaft and the impeller a bit but there really was nothing that looked unusual. Ran water into stat housing and it found its way to the bottom.

Took me a couple of tries before i could line up the shaft while reinstalling it. reinstalled the tsat.

Hooked up fuel line, cranked and started. This time I opened the faucet all the way to get more pressure into the muffs.

Water was spitting out the telltale but after about minute it had full flow. I noticed the stat cycled flow as when the water cools down a bit it would slow down and then increase flow again. So it looks like its working fine now.

Now my next question is why is oil dripping out of the prop/exhaust area?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sounds like you have the water flow under control Now on the oil substance coming out of the prop I would say that is unburned fuel. If the plugs are showing good color and strong spark I would say it is due from the engine not reaching operating temps. Try it on big water and then look for problems. Idleing on muffs don't tell us no whole lot except that it idles.

3. bulldog2

bulldog2 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    thanks. thats exactly what the merc tech support guy said. so, I gues am just gonna have to try it in the wate some time. I do remember the PO may have had a rich oil mix on it at first as he was just eye-balling the fuel when he mixed the first time.