Outboard Problem? What do you suggest.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Kevin G, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hello, I've recently purchased by first outboard motor for my first boat. After running it id really like to make sure it is well taken care of and have a few questions.

It is a 9.5hp Evinrude Serial # j01427 Model 9322B built in 1973.

When i crank it up and put it on full throttle it speeds up and then speeds down on it's own. It does this every so often. Also when i have it on low idle it cuts off.

My question is what is wrong with it and what would you suggest? Thanks.

2. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When the motor slows down it goes from about 15mph to about 5mph

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    when working on the motor dont overlook replacing the gas hose with new bulb. i seen them get a fish hook hole in them and they suck air and do what you describe

4. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    we used the hose and pulb off my boat and it has always ran fine and the bulb stays fairly firm so i dont think its a leak ill run mine with it tomorrow to see if it has got one in there sometime since i last ran it. it would be nice if thats all it is though...although that would mean i need a new hose to :eek:oooh:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There can be a whole host of things causing this problem. Unless your duck hunting where you need the motor right now, why not contemplate rebuilding or servicing the motor. Run a compression check and record the reading for future comparisons. Rebuild the carbs... no matter what they say, if your having a fuel related problem, 8 out of 10 times it will be in the carbs. Make sure all the adjustments are within tolerance. Possibly replace all rubber hoses and the fuel pump diaphragm, especially if it has had ethanol fuel used in the motor. Check the plugs to make sure they are correct for your motor. You may think everything is all right, but if you just got the motor, you have no idea what the previous owner may have done or failed to do for the motor. Start at ground zero and work your way to a clean area. LOL

6. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ok, i might try something along those lines. I'm not using it for duck hunting at the moment. Thanks

7. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Mine was doing the same thing. I tightened all the hose clamps and changed the bulb, I also redirected the position of the bulb. The bulb is supposed to be horizontal with the arrow pointing aft, the arrow points up when you pump it. I had owned a boat for 6 years and was shocked I didn't know this when the mechanic told me. This is required for optimum operation of the check valve in the bulb, so the mechanic says. If the boat hasn't been ran very much lately, I would definately clean the fuel system, change the hoses to ethanol rated ones, new bulb(I like the ones that come on yammys but I have a merc one now that is working fine, stay away from the wal mart ones). How old is the tank you are using, if the tank was used prior to ethanol gas a film will build up on the tank walls, ethanol will dissolve this layer and it will crap up your fuel system. I also use blue stabil every time I gas up, 20 bucks a bottle beats 90 bucks an hour maintenance fees.

8. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've heard of the coating for metal gas tanks. The guy i bought it from used one and i believe it had some rust in the bottom of it. I get a new plastic tank, and i ran it on a good tank but the hose might have been the problem. I dont think ill really know until i run it a few more times. i agree it might be the bulb/ pump

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Kevin, I would add to what the others said, and recommend you install an inline fuel filter, in addition to the one on the fuel pump. You will most likely have to rebuild the carb to resolve your problem, too. It's a pretty easy rebuild on that engine, just make sure you soak in good in solvent and blow out all the passages with compressed air. Hint: if you don't have an air compressor, the small cans of air for cleaning computers works pretty well.
    I have one of those engines, and it is dependable, except for the carb cleaning occasionally.

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Kevin, you have been given some excellent sugegstions. If, after giving them a try, you are still having problems, I suggest that you PM Cutbait101. He does excellent work at very reasonable rates :big_smile:

11. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'll keep that in mind. Thanks to everyone for all the details and helpful suggestions.

12. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    While, i'm here i might as well shoot out another question. I'm not a mechanic so bear that in mind. When i look where the throttle goes and it it opens that flap... what is the name for that part?

Anyway, on full throttle that flap seems to be only 1/2 the way open. After talking to a friend that knows a lot about small engines (not really outboards) he said that the throttle needs to go over more to get the most out of the motor.

Is this a problem with the outboard, should i consider having it fixed so it goes wide open when on full throttle? Was it made like that as a safety precaution? Thanks.

13. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Bring it by the house with a $1000 and i will fix it for you. You will also have to quit fishn with nevets91, he causes engine problems:smile2:jk

Probably a fuel problem, carb, hose, etc.....

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The "flap" you are referring to is the choke. It should be fully open when running wide open. Also, the choke on that engine should be manual. In other words, you have to pull the choke out to crank it, and then push it back in after it warms up.

Bill in SC

15. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Rofl... :smile2:

16. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ok thanks, the choke is manual but the motor cranks up on the first pull without the choke being pulled out. Pretty nice for a 1973 motor huh? I don't know if this is good/bad for the motor but I make sure i do it correctly with the choke out and then back in when warm for trips. And yea.. nevets91 broke my pull cord so i spend the day carving a nice wooden handle and bought new cording from marine store. He helped me put it back on so it was all good. :roll_eyes:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  17. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    it was messin up before me i got it runnin in the first place for ya lol