Outboard paint?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by DANZIG, Jan 9, 2008.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I need to repaint an older (70s?) 3.9 Merc.

Can I go with enamel?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    ain't sure if it will last as long,but I would .Just be sure to clean and prime accordingly.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I would use enamel. Not a big fan of waterbase paints for metal, boats, etc. You know the drill, lots of brake-kleen or something to get all the oil/fuel/crap off and rough up the existing paint to get any loose paint off an make it rough enough to take the new paint.

4. Yellercat

Yellercat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Are you trying to keep it looking like original paint color?

I have used krylon metalized spray paint which held up pretty good especially on the lower unit.

This paint worked good for masking scratches, covers well and is available in several colors.

I must tell you though it comes out with a slightly rough finish, kind of like an orange peel, but it held up better than regular enamel paint on my old evinrude.

I have used enamel spray paint before, but it always tended to flake off easily.

PS. make sure you lightly sand any surface you want to paint and wipe it down with a little thinner or alcohol to get any grease or grime off just before you paint. Most bad paint jobs I have seen have been due to paint that flakes off from grease or dirt or painting over a original high gloss baked on paints.

hope this helps

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Are you trying to keep it looking like original paint color?"

Yep, pretty much, it's a old Merc, so it is black. Been around the block a few times and has many scratches, large chips and such.
    I guess peeling is my largest concern, I don't know what type paint the factory used, as in, will enamel stick to it?
    But if there is a better(cost effective) idea, I am certainly open to suggestion.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Best suggestion I saw was to use Brake clean. It cleans and leaves no residue

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It's probably a powder coat finish from the factory, but I could be wrong. I see BobPaul down there, he'll give you the scoop in a minute! As somebody else said, surface prep is the key. Get it clean and get all the loose paint off of it. I like to use a 4" grinder with a wire wheel and lightly run over the old paint and then finish-sand around where any big chips came off so you can't see them in the finish coat. A good primer never hurts, either.

8. Yellercat

Yellercat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Enamel will stick to it when prepared well.

Not sure how much you want to spend on it, and if you want a cleaner restoration paint job, but maybe just ask a local body shop what they would charge to prep and paint it for you.

Don't hurt to ask you can always do it yourself...

9. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have used mercury touch up in a spray can on 115hp and was very pleased with the results. A small motor like that would only need 1 can most likely. I know this sounds like a cheap fix, but I think you will be happy with the results. Hope this helps.

10. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Forgot to remind to prep properly by light sanding, cleaning,and using a self etching primer witch also can be bought in an aresol can. Good luck on Your project.