Outboard mount and Silicone

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by mdspoula, Mar 7, 2006.

1. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I recently mounted a 60 hp Johnson and was wondering if I should put silicone in the bolt holes to avoid leakage.
    Thanks,

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Silcone won't hold up where there is a lot of water.
    What I have always used is 3m 5200. You can pick up a tube at wal-mart.
    Always seal any bolt or anything going through the transom. Water can seep thru without notice and eventuly rot the transom.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That 3M 5200 is some TUFF STUFF!!! I always wondered if that would work good around a bathroom tub? Might have to try that sometime.;)

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yea dave it will work in a bath tub and what I like about it is it won't mold.
    It is some tuff stuff. It takes about 24 hrs to harden but if you want quicker hardening use the 4200.

5. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    5200 is no joke. I got some on my hands when I was sealing the outboard mounting bolts on my transom, and it didn't come off for about a week. The cost makes it pretty expensive to try and use for tub sealer. $15 for a normal caulk sized tube. The size tube you'll need for those transom bolts runs like $5 at Wally World. Definitely stay away from silicon, you'll pay much more in the long run when your transom rots.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've been rocommending 5200 ever since I've been a member here.

To remove it from your skin, use acetone. After it cures, acetone will still work, but it takes more rubbing.

If you use it to caulk something that you want to have a good looking bead showing, smooth it out with an ice cube held in a paper towel. Use the ice cube directly in contact with the 5200. When caulking a crack or seam, the caulk should always be smoothed into it to make a good seal. For real, an ice cube is the only way to go.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    5200 is some good stuff. Just make sure you got it where you want it before it sets up:)

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    How hard would it be to unbolt a motor that you use the 5200 on? I know we used to go through a lot of it when I worked on the lake .
    Need to raise my motor up one more bolt hole. So I will need something to replace what is on there when I get it done.
    Pete

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    pete run the bolts from inside to outside and then clean the threads with actone and you will not have that problem.

Paul I knew about the ice cube and was really suprised when I read you thread.:)
    Good minds think alike.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah Bubba, we do

Pete, if you've got 5200 between the transom and the motor bracket, it will come loose with some lifting and a little prying. Work slowly and let it break free a bit at a time. I'm not sure how your lifting the motor, but hanging from a stout limb works for me sometimes. I've got a Dayton crank type come-a-long, that works like a winch. I took off the handle and use my 18V battery drill on the shaft. The Dayton is rated for 2000#.

I've seen motors mounted on fiberglass hulls get removed and it'll pull the outer skin of the boat off after being on for a few yrs.

11. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    When you say "5200 between the engine bracket and the transom", why would that be done on purpose or does that just happen near the 4 bolt holes when it has oozed in between there a little bit? Just wondering if there was some advantage to "gluing" your engine to the transom in addition to bolting it?

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I do it the easy way. Trachhoe or loader on the tractor. LOL
    Thanks being that is a tin boat guess I could wax the boat and motor and let if just work on the bolts and holes.
    Thanks Bubbakat and Bobpaul.
    Pete

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I ain't got a clue why some people mounted their motors with a bead of 5200 and bolts, but I've sure cussed them.

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    All that I need to do it stop water from entering the bolt holes where the motor bolts on.
    Wonder why I can't slip O-Rings over the bolts and let that stop it?
    Pete

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can Pete but the o rings will deteriorate over time. Just put you a coat inside the holes and shove the bolt thru and then wipe the excess off while its wet. when you tighten up it won't be enough ooze out to hinder you later.
    You can soak the 5200 with acetone and it will soften it some.

16. andi1950

andi1950 New Member

State:
    Belton, Texas
    Bobpaul
    Thanks for the ice idea. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks.

jerry

17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jerry, it was my son that learned it from an old sheet metal worker when he was working on "The Back to the Future " ride at Universal studios in Orlando.

He passed it on to me and on to you folks.

I ain't got a clue who told Bubba. He's smarter than 3 people.

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Paul I learned that trick from an old gentleman that installed inside water falls for rich folks on their patios and in their dens.

19. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    cost for a tube is $15. my wife is wanting to do a $1500 remodel on the tub because the water leakes between the tub and the ceramic tile. Thanks for the tip , now i have $1485 to remodel my boat.