Outboard motor used in Saltwater

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by martinman, Oct 17, 2006.

1. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I need some advice.

I am looking to purchase a 8 or 9.9 hp motor for my little v-hull boat. I have always wondered if there is a big difference in getting a used motor that has been used in saltwater verses freshwater.

Since I am not a professional in this matter, I could really use some advice. I don't want to purchase a motor that I will have to replace in a few years.

Ryan

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Avoid your saltwater motors if you can.

Corrossion and electrolosys start in on them from the day they get put in salt water.

Bolts break when repairs are needed. To get bolts out of older engines, the area needs to be heated with acetyline. Sometimes no amount of heat will get them out.

Anything that isn't stainless will rust or corrode. The corriosion/aluminum oxide, will lock them stainless bolts in.

I've found that Suzuki's are the worst by far when used in saltwater.

3. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Thanks for the pointers.

Guys,

I love to fish, have a little bit of money, and the last thing I want to do is invest what I can into a motor that is going to give me headaches later on. Because I don't fish anywhere close to saltwater, I have no idea what adverse affects could be had with it.

Bobpaul...Thanks again for the advice.

Ryan