Outboard Motor not Running Right

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by lonegunman88240, Apr 22, 2006.

1. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    hi all, i picked up my 15 hp seaking from the shop a few weeks ago but today was the first chance i had to take her out for a spin, the engine will only start when both the low speed and high speed adustments are bottomed out on the rich end of the scale, which is also where the engine runs the best, the motor was put into the shop because it was hitting on one cylinder, had both coils, both set of points, and both condensors changed out for new ones, and had the carb rebuilt, and water pump changed, the mechanic refuses to look at it saying i did something to mess it up, any help is appreciated

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    What year is this motor.

3. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    i think its a 1969

4. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    i took the boat out again today, adjusted thr trim and it ran a little better, but at the end of the day a strange thing happened, we unhooked the fuel line to run the carb dry, and the rpms picked where they are suppose to be and the motor ran smoother rigt up until it ran out of fuel, can anyone tell me what that means

5. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    sorry its not 1969 its a 1960 made by gale

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    They will speed up when they are running out of gas. In my opinion I would not run on dry like that it makes the cylinder run lean and is bad on it.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I suspect that carburation is still the problem, now that your firing on both cyl's.

It's running rich for some reason. Possibly your needle isn't seating properly or float stuck, or float not floating properly because of saturation from the gas if it's the old cork float.

You need a mechanic that's not so arrogant that he thinks he can't make a mistake.

It could also be you let it set too long.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I bet it had the three line fuel line?
    If so make sure the fuel cap is on tight. IT has to be tight for the motor to fun right.
    That is the reason it ran great when the fuel line was off.
    That is my guess, AS we used to have a few of them.
    Pete

9. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    three fuel lines? got one that goes from the tank to the fuel pump, and one that goes from fuel pump to carb, am i missing something?

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Some of the old motors had three lines from the tank to the motor. One was a gas line and If I remember right one as a vacuum and then a return line. So you had to keep the gas cap tight.
    But it may not be one of them.
    If its only one gas line to the motor from the tank. Check and make sure your gas cap is vented. As it will not run right with it tight on those
    Pete

11. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    theres 2 mechanics in this town, him and another guy that wont touch small engines, i ran it some more without the airbox and it seems like its getting way to much fuel, i took the carb apart didnt find any block passages, float is set, but looks to me the jet is either to big or has been drilled out? im going to try and find a stock jet to compar sizes, hopefully thats all that is wrong with it

12. lonegunman88240

State:
    new mexico
    luckily i found a retired marine mechanic who still fixes outboards on the side, he's 70 miles from here but i took it to him maybe he'll get it going soon