Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cowling badge hp, serial # hp, modified hp, jet foot hp
I'm sure all this has been asked and answered but my googlefu has failed to locate a definitive answer, maybe there isn't one.

Which of these is the technical for legal purposes. I ask because some states have hp restrictions like my home state of Alabama which says hp must not exceed the hp rating on the coast guard plate. They go by serial number rating, the motor is whatever hp it left the factory with. Assuming a stock configuration of course. I remember when this went into effect and the state hit it hot and heavy and would break it off in you for changing the cowl badging.
While Georgia does not have this law and I guess one can run whatever hp feels safe there are a few restricted hp waters in the state. Where is that hp read? I assume serial as that is the only real constant.
On the AL/GA thing I'm sure it would not be an issue fishing shared waters such as the Chattahoochee in Columbus particularly if the trip originated in Georgia. But since the two states recognize each others registration what about in wholly state waters?

When buying a hull then converting a prop to jet you could never meet the full potential of the hull if you have plate hp restrictions but if you buy a new factory jet you can. Or one could buy a commercial hull and have zero restrictions as commercial don't have plates. But I understand commercial jon hulls are in a federal legal grey area. And how would that apply to states that have plate hp laws?

I probably should ask this on a more technical site but I know we have smart folks on here plus a few crappie cops
wink

Of course I also love pointing out the silliness of the unintended consequences our representatives create when they set out to protect us from ourselves.

Premium Member
Sounds to me like you should be asking your State this question. It is too technical for most on here and if you get it wrong they (per say) break it off in you, I wouldn't be taking anyones word on here for what your State law says.

Registered
IL doesn't have a state wide HP limit however some lakes do. The only state lake in my home county has a 10HP limit. It used to be folks would do one of two things, one buy a 15 HP and re-badge the hood thinking the Conservation Officers were not smart enough to get their VIN book out and check to make sure it was a 10. The other was to buy an Evinrude 10 and re-carb it with a 15 carb. Back then the only difference was the carb jetting, same bore, stroke and compression. I never thought 5 HP gain was enough to cheat over.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The VIN is a dead giveaway. Heck, OMC had the HP in the VIN. The carb swap would be harder to catch though I'm quite sure most crappie cops are aware of it.
Not just 5hp though as an example OMC used the same three cylinder block 50-75 hp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts