Outboard is messing up...

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by barbel, May 7, 2006.

1. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Today me and my dad took our boat out down to the lake to give it a test run, since we just got it. The motor is an '82 Mercury 50hp. Anyways, the boat was running smooth as as could be when we put it in the water, and for about the next 3 hours. After we jumped around for a bit, we noticed that it started running funny, and that there wasnt the jet of water coming out of the cooling port. Another thing we noticed is that there was a lot of white smoke coming out of the engine too. We believe there is something wrong with the cooling system, since the engine began to overheat, and since the water wasnt being circulated through, evidently. We also attribute the smoke to a high oil percentage, but I have no idea. So my question is, what are the possible things that are wrong with this outboard? We arent exactly 'skilled' in the area of marine engines, so we arent really sure. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance :smile2:

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    That doesn't sound good at all. The water not spraying out of the cooling port indicates the water pump is bad. When the water pump goes bad it cannot cool the engine. The white smoke indicates detonation maybe. This can happen if the engine is very very hot. I don't like telling people bad news but,,, if the engine is a 2cycle it will prolly need a new top end and water pump replacement. If you EVER have a motor that the water cooling port is not spraying water out like normal, Shut the engine down ASAP. This can keep from doing more damage.

3. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    What probably happened is that the water pump stopped working, the engine started overheating, and it blew a head gasket. The white smoke indicates water in the cylinders. The white smoke is steam.

Hopefully you didn't damage the motor. Take the head off and you'll be able to look into the cylinders to see if there's any damage (scoring). Also, you'll see where the head gasket broke.

Be sure to let us know what you find.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Do a compression check before you go into any major surgery.

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Ah, yup the white smoke would be steam from blown headgasket or warped head. These guys are right, do a compresion check first.

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Did you guys happen to get in some shallow water? Backing up hit some mud, sand? If the motor ran that well for three hours I'd check from the screen on the lower unit to the water pump and make sure there is nothing blocking the line. They make an adaptor that fits over the screen you simply hook your garden hose to that and you have enough water to run your engine without doing damage. If the water pump quit on you, replacement of the pump will include a diagram and instructions. You should not have any major problems with that. Sounds like the motor got pretty hot too. I'd take the plugs out and pull the start rope a couple of times to make sure it did not sieze up after cooling down. Your dealer or engine repair shop should give you compression stats for your motor or someone on here may know. It's a good thing to know right now what each cylinder is carring on compression since the motor is new to you. I check mine every year. I pull the plugs check compression, then I squirt a little oil in each cylinder and check again. After you use the oil (wet) test the motor will smoke like a house fire for a few minutes, but don't worry it's ok it will stop. Hope this helps, but don't give up you'll get to know/understand your motor better.
    Don