Outboard/boat problems

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by drcwaynem, May 11, 2006.

1. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Picked up my boat last Sat only to find out that i am still having problems. This is the problem. 50hp johnson 94, take to marina and it starts fine...then..after a few minutes of warming up, I start to hear a recurring beeping tone coming from the console. As i back it out of the launch area, the beeping continues and when I begin to go forward increasing speek the beeping goes faster. After a few seconds at full throttle the sound stops. Then a few seconds later after reaching 4000 rpm for a little while the engine shuts off. After a couple tries is starts again and then as I continue, the problem repeats itself. Anyway, I limped back to the boat launch with my trolling motor and manually (with a rope connected to the bow of the boat) pulled the boat onto the trailer and took it to get it looked at. Have any of you experienced this before or know what the problem might be? I sure could use some wisdom from you all.

Wayne

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    If its a 2 stroke and oil injected (oil mixed in as its running), may be an alarm about your oil ?? -- Just guessing

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The beeping is a clue that something bad has happened. Could be the oil pump isn't working, could be overheating. Your owners manual will tell you what it means.

Don't ignore the beeping.

4. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks guys. I'm definitely not ignoring the beeping. I did at first though. Spoke with the outboard motor shop and they said something about there is probably some air in the lines and they need to be bled. Hopefully, that is all that needs to be done. I don't want to have a new pump purchase ($400.00). Will fill you all in later. Thanks again!!!

Wayne

5. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ok all,

The problem was that oil was not getting pumped to my 2cyl 50 HP outboard. I squeezed the bulb until it was full and after I did that...eureka!!! It RAN WONDERFUL. Now I can't wait till this weekend so I can chase down some nice size cats out at Baldwin Lake, Illinois.