Outboard Alarm

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by squirtspop, Apr 11, 2006.

1. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I had an old 82 model Tracker II with a 40 hp Mercury on it. Sold it and bought this 90 model ProCraft. It had a 115 hp Mercury on it and it was shot. I bought a used 96 Mariner (it was a trade in for a bigger motor) and put on the Procraft. Is there an alarm on outboards in case the oil pressure gets low or other malfunction? If there is, how can you check to see if it works. I haven't heard any bells, buzzers, sirens or anything when the key is turned on but I thought there was a built in alarm of some sort.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Chuck I will have to look up the wire color but there should be alarms on that motor.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    just wondering is it a 2 stroke or 4?

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's usually a red light that will come on. It may only come on if the engine temp gets too high, or if the oil pressure gets too low, or it may come on for any of half a dozen different reasons, like a 'check engine' light. The problem is that few of us sit looking at the outboard while running our boats around the lake or river. And if YOU'RE one of the ones that do, please let me know when you will be on the water; I'll wait till you either leave or run into something and sink. Anyway, I've had problems in the past with the light coming on and not noticing it till the engine starting running rough. My new Yamaha 4-stroke has a built-in computer fix for this problem, but your older motors don't. It seems to me that hooking a buzzer or some other type of audible alarm to the warning light would be easy enough, and might save some expensive repairs on an engine.

5. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ifin it aint broke dont fix it :)