Out ran over the weekend,lol

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by keith, Jul 11, 2006.

1. keith

keith New Member

State:
    ohio
    well over the weekend I was out ran by a motor cycle lol, I was on state rt 125 around pandhandle ohio when a call came over my radio of a police office chasing a motor cycle on 125 heading towards pandhandle, the motor cycle had been stolen from the george town area in ohio, I stop on 125 waiting for the bike to get behind me so I could slow him down, so i saw the bike coming so I pulled out on to the road and got in the middle of the road running around 70mph, the bike got behind me and tried to pass, so I would curve over in front of the bike, that lasted for a little while, I was hopeing the first officer that started the chase would catch up and help me box the bike in, but the bike pulled up beside me and looked at me for a second then nailed the bike, I started to run him off the road when he done that, lol, but when the bike got in front of me he took off, I was running a 110mph fast has my patrol car would go, the bike ran off about a mile ahead of me where they were three more deputies waiting on him,at the town of west union, he went around them and started going through town, and started up 41 north towards peebles ohio, two state troopers fell behind the bike then and he had atleast 10 patrol officers on his tail, then the bike went around two peebles officers and got on state route 32 east, and ran off and left us, pike county had no officers that could help us, where the bike was heading, so we called it off. now for your opinon. should we be aloud to use stop sticks, on bikes, or should we beloud to run them off of the road. just something for are members to talk about.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Stop sticks let the air out of the tires slowly correct? Sounds like they should be allowed to use on motorcycles. If not all the crooks will be using them knowing they could possible get away. If not PIT them I bet they quit running then lol.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I think after getting a description you should let em go if they can't be stopped safely. I am in no way saying what the guy did was right, but it is not worth death. Motorcycles can be deadly when traveling 35mph and a guy is thrown, much less going over 110mph. If the bike is just stole, and can't be stopped safely let him go. If the guy is running because of a murder, you have a different circumstance there.

4. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Man that is a great question.
    As a motorcycle rider of over 35+ years I wouldn't have a problem at all with the police using stop sticks. But only in exteme cases like the one you mentioned.

I am pretty sure that the rider will go down. How hard, is pretty tough to say.

Would I feel sorry for him? NOPE!

Just my opinion.

_

5. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For me the question is simple:

Is deadly force authorized when trying to capture someone wanted for
    1)Grand Larceny or Grand Theft Auto
    2)Speeding
    3)Reckless Driving/reckless endangerment
    4)Fleeing or Eluding Law Enforcement

If so, use sticks. If not, other less lethal tactics should be employed.

My .02...Jeff

P.S. Keith, Thanks for laying it on the line everyday for us.

6. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I suppose even criminals have rights.. but in a high speed chase who is really losing their rights? Unfortunatly it looks like it's often the innocent pedestrians and other moterist.

I'm so sick to death of the criminals getting "consideration" when they certainly don't deserve it.

You steal a car/bike/truck/boat then you should accept what comes your way. (IMHO)
    _

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Agreed a theif is a criminal

8. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    And YES, I agree. Thanks for serving and protecting the rest of us.
    _

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Should of stretched a rope across the road! Lmao!

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Darrin where was the Helo? I would have to say that I think the stop sticks can be used why waste the tax dollars on some worthless scum that will just bog up our courts for another worthless crime. either that or PIT them. The problem that comes in on this is the criminal is flying at High Speed rounds a corner and hits a mini van full of kids and kills them all. I think I would rather just have the criminal get hurt or worse.

11. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Some of the members hit it already...I think the tactics should match the criminal. All you mentioned was that it was a bke theft. Let him go and ctch him later. I'm normally a harda$$, but can't see putting people in danger over material stuff. It could have been a stupid young teenager...maybe even one of our stupid young teenagers.

12. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I have to respectfully disagree 99% (*) with you on this one David.

When did we decide which laws to enforce and which to disregard?
    Stupidity.. heck I have a long history of that, but I've also learned my greatest lessons in life from having to deal with the consequences.

Keith, (or other Law enforcement ppl) can you chime in here. I'm curious how much a Policemen applies his own discernment in situations like this. Do you give stupid people a break? Or do you treat them all the same.

*David, as I get older I DO know that occasionaly we can better teach our youth with a warning and a 2nd chance. I am a father that raised 3 teenage boys and personally can value what you posted.
    _

13. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    If it were up to me I say lethal force should be used on any one running from the law. Innocent people don’t run and have been hurt and killed by stupid people thinking they can drive better than any one else.

14. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    first time u do that it will be a 14 year old kid on his daddys bike and will be killed i couldnt live with it
    i dont think you should use stop sticks or run a bike off the road unless they have a gun shooting at you 9 times out of 10 the motorcycle is gonna wipe out on his own if u put enough pressure on them.

15. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Good point gator. If you are running from the law, it must be for a reason. If you are running in a manner that clearly consitutes public endangerment I believe you should be stopped by any means necessary. How would you feel saying i'm sorry to someone that just lost a loved one to a criminal like that. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying pull out a .45 and blow them away but force should be started with minimal and escalated until the desired result is obtained (vehicle stopped). I agree that criminals have rights. . . They have the right to remain silent . . . permanently if necessary.

:0a23:

16. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I think the saddest thing about your story was that you guys had to give up chasing him at the county line. I personally don't see the reasoning behind jurisdictions, especially in cases like this..a stolen bike is a stolen bike no matter what county it's in.

As for your question, i think that if he gets hurt because he won't stop for you, then that's his own fault. If it takes a spike strip or a side swipe from a police officer to get him to stop, then so be it. He's the only one who can decide his own fate.

17. gater460

gater460 New Member

State:
    eldon,mo
    the thing is when your chasing somebody like that is he running just because the bike is stolen or did he kill somebody first and stole the bike to get away cant tell that by looking at him can you?

18. keith

keith New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think when they run a 100mph through red lights and stop signs force should be used soon as possible, if you let the guy go, the person that owns the bike will never see it again, if you keep chasing him he could run into somebody,we work are hole lives to get what we have, and it only takes a theif a second to steal it, but the law makes it hard to catch them when it comes to force, so men i just dont no, cheif advised me that i couldn't use stop sticks, or force him off the road, what do you do, if I did force him off the road, that would be one big law suit.

19. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I hate that he stool the bike. But if you can use deadly force to stop him from speeding I think I should be allowed to use deadly force to stop him from stealing my property. That way he won't be speeding on my bike that he stool. I have very little compssion for a thief. Our laws are too lienent on thieves. If a person is starving and steals something to eat then discretion. If a person steals to support a habit no discretion Hurt them hard so they don't o it again. I worked hard for what i have and would liketo kp it. Thse worst is the thief that steals a mans tools that he uses to make an honet living with ,and then sells them for nothing but a fix. Just because i ave insurance on them doesn't make it right.

20. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Tony,

I'm glad you at least agree 1%. I read my post and still don't see where I said cops should determine what laws to enforce. I'm speaking of tactics used to surpress individuals fleeing from the law. I believe if it is just property...don't endanger the thief or innocent bystanders life by swelling your testicles for a high-speed chase. My uncle is a state trooper and he told me that they do use rules for chasing the bad guys. I was only speaking to those chase rules and not to whether or not we distinguish betwen the crimes. You don't kill someone over stealing a candybar do ya? Even if they run from ya? What about a bicycle? It shouldn't matter that it was a motorcycle. Those can be replaced. Chasing someone at speeds in excess of 100 mph is just plain stupid. Not even the patrolmen can have total control of their vehicles at that speed. Respectfully.