out of state skipjackers

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by gatortail, Mar 7, 2008.

1. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Ive read a thread about skipjack and u know it bothers me.I understand we need bait but for those who come down and catch 300 or more at a time thats crazy. they cant produce that fast. Im trying to get alimit put on them.And the TWRA is taking consideration on it because they r a limited Quantity.With those numbers being run up I would like to see a 50 fish limit and thats what im shooting for.I hope yall arent mad but or future depends on it:big_smile:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I hardly think you are going to decimate the skipjack population fishing with rod and reel. Maybe I am wrong.

So you wish to make it not worthwhile for out-of-staters to purchase a TN license which puts revenue in the state coffers, by limiting us to 50 baitfish. How many are the locals going to catch over the entire year? We come down ONCE, stock up on bait and will probably not return until next year.

Do the math!

3. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    that goes for in state and out of state it would be like me going to ur river and keeping everthing i catch:crazy:

4. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I am one of the guilty ones that has come down there and caught some of your fine skipjack. I am definitely not mad at you for trying to protect a valuable resource. I can understand that when more fisherman come from out of state and put additional pressure on a resource that there should be concern. I have come down and caught around 300 skips from the Cumberland river. Now I use every one of those on my fishing trips and will probably not be back down there until the end of this year. I spend as much time on the water as I can and fish as much as possible. I do go through a lot of bait in a season. I don't have the luxury of going out in the morning and catching fresh ones to use that day. So I come down load up my freezer and use what I have until they are gone. I believe you are allowed 150 a day per person and I will stick with that until it changes and when if it goes to 50 then I will follow that law as well. I know that skipjack are pretty prolific breeders and I am also aware that they are not an unlimited resource but when the fisheries department identifies that there is an issue with the numbers being taken v/s what is produced then I will abide by what they come up with. What is the difference in coming down and getting all of your bait for the rest of the season in one trip instead of taking 300 a day at a time?

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to dis -agree with you on this one Don. I have observed the locals taking boat loads of skipjack and shad o n a daily basis from below the Ky Dam. I was told that these were commercial sales people selling bait to canneries to freeze and ship. This has been done for several years and there is still plenty of bait ( skipjack and shad) to fill hundreds of 300 limits coolers for many years. When out of state-rs come to catch bait they spend lots of money in the local area which helps every one. Not to be smart, but I would consider taking a second look at this. What type of plan do you have to replace the revenues that will be lost with your plan?

6. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    that is the problem people do not go by the rules and thanks for the reply people like u make me happy to fish I just wish oher people would do the same

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It costs me several hundred dollars to make a trip down there plus 10 hours of round-trip driving. I don't have the luxury that you do to get up in the morning and catch them fresh at whim.

How many do you catch in a year? Not more than me. I ended up with 119 skipjack my last trip, took the whole family. I probably have almost $5 invested for each fish I brought home after I purchased all the fishing licenses, fuel, lodging, food etc.......

If everyone thought like you do I suppose we'd just eliminate out-of-state fishing so ONLY RESIDENTS could enjoy any particular state's resources.

I think it stimulates your local economy when out-of-towners spend their money in your town!

8. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I think that everyone should get to enjoy catching them but look at the numbers being caught. raise the licenses lower the limit

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't think they are getting the statewide pressure that you think they are. They aren't exactly a sportfish and a whole lot of fishermen don't even fish for them.

As stated earlier they are very prolific breeders, most likely not endangered of being overfished at this point and time, nor likely to be for that matter.

You just sound greedy to me and want them all to yourself.

Sorry, thats the way I see it.

Its okay for you to catch 1000 a year because you are doing it all year long, only fewer at a time......:roll_eyes: Doesn't add up to me???????

10. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    as I stated earlier look how many are being took home the locals are as bad as EVERYONE else 50 sounds plenty to me.and by the way 50 is plenty for me

11. Live2Fish.Fish2Live

Live2Fish.Fish2Live New Member

State:
    Dickson,Tennessee
    :tounge_out:I like peanut-butter!

12. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    that is what they should try so or skippies can regroup:crazy:

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It seems like a reasonable concern to me. If I heard stories about out of state folks coming in here to load up on shad I would wonder about the impact on their population, and on the catfish that depend on them for food. Hopefully Tennessee will look at it fairly, with good resource management as the ultimate goal. If skipjack harvest is too high and adversely impacting the fishery, by all means impose some limits.

On the other hand, if the fishery is supporting the level of harvest, don’t fix what isn’t broken. There are people who travel to places like Cumberland City to harvest bait, spending money at the motels, gas stations, restaurants, etc and helping to support the local economy.

I was over there (Cumberland City) last month, came back with about 2 dozen skips, nothing that will impact the fishery I hope, while spending a couple of hundred dollars. I doubt I would have traveled that far just for skipjack, but they were definitely part of the attraction. I was fishing next to a guy who was catching skips, harvesting the gut pocket, and tossing the dead fish in the bushes. Just curious, is that a common practice over there?

14. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I did not Know that Skipjack Caviar was that good.:angry:
    I do not think that is usual practice.

15. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    this is probably the biggest bunch of selfish crap i have ever seen on the boc.... period!!! rationing of skipjack:confused2: i used 10 skips fishing alone saturday and when the water is right and i can fish a couple days a week 50 wont last 3 weeks!!! if you really use your head and think about it the size of the skips at cumberland city are egg bearing size ... say half the skips drop 1000 eggs a year .... thats a lot of skips!! way more than what is being caught ... you ever wonder why the skipjack pile in that discharge .its not because they want to warm up ... looking for food ?? yep thats why they bite so good in there .. possible reason.... tooo many skipjack in the river and not enough food! what happened to brotherhood? this is about selfishness nothing more... how many do you catch in there every year gator?? 300 fish looks and weighs the same if you catch them all in one day .. of 25 a month.. like skipeye said its not like we are coming down and taking 300 a week.. for most guys once or twice a year..

16. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i was a tournament bass fisherman for years and got out of it because of the cut throat ways. now the catfish industy seems to be heading in that same direction,, more and more rules are being changed to suit some folks needs and people are gettin to serious about a sport that should be fun ...so i quit ... im gonna take up golf!!!! see you all on the green!!!

17. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Gatortail:

I have been coming to Cumberland City for close to five years or more now, When I started fishing there at the steam plant there was a lot of folks there catch skip jack trowing them in the rocks behind us and leaving them. Because they were there trying to catch the ole mighty bass that was in there feeding on them, I bet I picked up 3-4 dozen fish from locals that were tossing them away, up over the bank, that problem has been going on for five years and I have not seen many problems in them declining right now, three years ago the spawn was not good, I don't know if your much of a catfishermen or not but if you would of been on any waters in the Ohio, Mississippi, Cumberland or Tennessee this past summer, but my fish finder was covered with skips and there was billions of them everywhere, I am predicting this year there will be more then you have ever seen in the rivers and lakes after last years hatch. Shad did the same thing but they spawned twice that I seen.

You are not going to hurt that fish, ride up and down that river and the Ohio and Tennessee, there is only a few places guys fish for them and that's one of the locations that people can get to easy and fish for them, it wont hurt that population any, do you see anyone fishing anywhere else for them. Now if it looked like the first day of trout season in PA fishing for them , then I would say start worrying, but I think your barking up a dead tree. For the commercial fishermen you got a long road to hoe with them on that law of 50 a day.

There is way to much water on them rivers and skips are every where on the river not just at the steam plant, I have been on the Ohio river and the Green River when a barge comes past in the summer time churning up the water behind them and skips go nuts all of a sudden , and its in the middle of the river no dams no steam plant but their there, they are all over the river system.

If you don't want us to come there and fish just say it ? that's all you have to do..

I will be down next weekend to see if I can catch a couple. Anyone want to go along ? :eek:oooh::big_smile::cool2:

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I have to lean towards the belief that Skipjack pole and line fishing isnt a real threat to the Skipjack Fisheries.

Just because a few dozen anglers whack quite a few skip jacks every year on one little discharge on several HUNDRED miles of river, I just dont see this equating to decimating a fishery. There is a constant flow of herring up into that little pocket of water, and their main diet is small shad, minnows, and depending on time of year, they are even preying on their own fry.

There are millions and millions of skipjack herring on these river systems, and a few pole and line fisherman arnt going to ruin this fishery by fishing one little discharge in Cumberland City Tennesse.

If for some reason Tennessee were to drop the limit to 50 per day, my groups and families several thousand dollars per year will go to another state.

I just dont see a handfull of out of state fisherman fishing one little steam plant in Tennessee as decimating or threatening the Skipjack Herring to extinction.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Steve, Golf is worse buddy. I quit golf to fish for kittens. :smile2::wink:

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If you take a look at what is going on down at the steam plant you will notice alot of wasted skips. I have seen alot of this in the last few yaers that I have been going down there.I have seen hundreds of them laying on the bank whole and untouched. This is what is sad, I hate to see a recource wasted like this. As DeerHunter01 stated in his post, it is mainly striper fishermen that are doing tihis because they are a nusence to them (while they are chasing those "other baitfish"). If I see them doing this I will ask them to put them in a bucket for me or save them for me and I will come and pick them up.

There is no possible way to decimate the skipjack population in the cumberland river just short of poisoning them. People have been going there for years, catching hundreds of them at a time. There has been no slow down in them that I have noticed other than, them moving in and out of the steam plant.