Out Look for Rend Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fishnfwl, Feb 6, 2008.

1. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    The Illinois Department of Natural Resources has released the results of the 2008 Fishing Prospects. This information is compiled by the IDNR fisheries biologist for Rend Lake. Largemouth Bass – good – The size structure of the Rend Lake bass population should remain relatively unchanged in the coming year. After improving steadily for five consecutive years, the Rend Lake bass population appears to show signs of stabilizing. A decline in the Rend Lake bass population in recent years was linked in part to poor recruitment. To address this concern, over 294,000 bass fingerlings have been stocked in the last six years. These fish have had a significant impact on the density and size structure of the population, and population indices have improved significantly. Data from the most recent population survey show all population indices met the target goals, and the condition of all sizes of fish is excellent (Wr 99). Fishing should remain good in the coming year. The number of fish exceeding the 14" minimum length limit declined slightly over the previous year, but still comprised 41% of the adult bass population. The number of larger fish (16”-20”) improved slightly (up 10% from the previous year), and the number of bass over 20" in length remained stable. Bass numbers remain strong, and growth rates continue to be good. Maintaining a steady flow of smaller fish into the population through supplemental stocking combined with forage base enhancement has helped to improve and stabilize the size structure of the population. Tournament permits are available at Wayne Fitzgerrell State Park, 618/629-2320.Crappie – very good to excellent – The crappie population remains in very good condition. In an effort to improve the size structure of the population, length and creel regulations were enacted in 2002. In the 5+ years since the regulations went into effect, the crappie population has shown significant improvement. Data from the 2007 population survey showed little change in the size structure of the population. Over 36 percent of the adult crappie are greater than 10 inches in length and the number of fish exceeding 12" in length remains at a 10 year high. For 2008, crappie 10"-14" in length and averaging 1/2 to 1 pound will be abundant, and should provide excellent angling opportunities. Crappie 8”- 10” are also abundant and should contribute to the creel. Crappie reproduction has also been excellent over the last few years, and 2007 was no exception. If growth rates and recruitment remain stable, this fishery should continue to provide very good fishing for several years to come. Regulations will remain unchanged next season, with a daily creel limit of 25 white, black, or hybrid crappie (singly or collectively) of which no more than 10 may be 10" or longer in length. White Bass – fair – The white bass fishery showed signs of improvement in 2007 and this trend should continue in 2008. The number of fish collected in the fall 2007 electrofishing survey increased for the second consecutive year, and the population, although still below optimal, should provide relatively good fishing in the immediate future. However, this improvement may be short lived. Recruitment appears poor for the second year in a row, and this will likely cause a decline in the fishery in the near future. Most of the fishery in 2008 will be comprised of fish from the 2002 and 2005 year classes. These fish will range from 14" - 20" in length and weigh from 0.5 to 1.5 pounds. Hybrid Striped Bass – poor – The number of hybrid striped bass continues to decline. To improve the status of this fishery, 1,300 fingerlings were stocked in October 2003, 450 eight-inch fish were stocked in September 2004, and 1,650 ten-inch were stocked in 2005. However, this was not enough fish to significantly improve the population, and due to lack of availability, no additional stocking is planned at this time. Future improvements in the fishery are contingent on supplemental stocking. Most hybrids should be in the 2 - 8 lb. range. Channel Catfish / Flathead Catfish – excellent – The fishing prospects for channel catfish will continue to be excellent in the coming year. Natural reproduction and recruitment continue to be very strong, and are responsible for maintaining the large population of fish in the lake. Data from the 2007 population survey show catch rates for channels remain well above the 10 year average. Channel catfish from 1 - 2.5 lbs are abundant, and larger fish up to 7 lbs are common. The condition of these fish has improved and growth rates remain good. If you enjoy fishing for channel catfish, this lake should be on your list of places to fish in 2008.
    The numbers and size structure of the flathead catfish population remain stable, and should also provide good fishing in the coming year. Catch rates from the annual population survey were exactly at the 10 year average. Reproduction and recruitment success was excellent for flathheads in 2005 and 2006, and this should help to improve fishing in the coming years. Most flathead catfish will range up to 20 lbs. with a few larger fish. Bluegill – fair – The size structure of the bluegill population declined slightly in 2007, but remains relatively stable. Bluegill should be abundant, but most keepers will be 6"- 7" fish averaging 1/4 lb or less. Relatively few fish will exceed 8". The number of larger fish remains below optimal, but condition and growth rates for fish less than six inches in length remains excellent. If these smaller fish continue to do well in the coming year the size structure of the population may improve.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Randy thanks for sharing this info. This should put a smile on many faces. Lots of fish and not to distance of travel.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    It definitely puts a smile on my face, Mickey :wink:

4. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Sounds good, I might spend a little time on the lake this year. I now have a boat better suited for big water. I'm always like to here about good populations of the cats. Thanks for the good news Randy.:cool2:

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am ready to go jugging! Let's go!!!

6. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Randy, looks like another good year ahead......I can't wait!

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    thats a little strange theyre calling the hybrid striper population poor. in the spring i tear em up from the bank.

8. vacatfishin'

vacatfishin' New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for posting this.

9. Migrator83

Migrator83 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks for sharing...lookin like a good year!!

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Paul and I were out there yesterday.. the water is up and actually trickle down the spillway. The Rend Marina guy predicts it to be higher by the time season rolls in. Let's hope.

11. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thats good news for Bass Pro's manufactured bait tournament thats going to be there in June. I can"t wait to whip the SECRET-7 dip bait on um! I have heard this is always a good Channel Cat lake.

June 21, 2008 Whittington, Illinois, Rend Lake MFG Bait

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Jeff... A BoC gathering is happening the same time. We will be out there and would love it if you stopped by!

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    sounds like its gonna be a great day!

14. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wish you luck my friend...The lake is awesome for Channels as long as they cooperate with you...I have seen a team of two men pull out 99 eater channels from that lake in 6 hrs...These boys know the water at Rend really well though and fish it regularly...

It is common to bring out 25-30 eaters daily...Like Brian Hupp has already stated we hope you get a chance to stop in on us and meet a few of the people...SECRET-7
    Sounds like something I need,I could always use a SECRET when fishing with these boys...LOL

15. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I am planning on stopping by for a bit. My schedule gets crazy around tournament time so I can't say for sure how long I can attend. I would like to meet more BOC members and this sounds like a great place to do that!

16. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anybody got a little more info on this tournament? How to register, cost, elegibility?

17. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello FlatCatMan,
    the only information I have is a 2007 Website that has 2007 registeration information...Please if any one has any updated information please post...
    I hope this helps and hope to see you at the BOC Rend Lake Gathering...

http://www.kenfreemanoutdoorpromotions.com/2007/tournaments.php

REND LAKE
    Wayne Fitzgerrell State Park
    Pavilion #2
    Dinner to be on the 21st June 2008, 5pm
    South I-57 Exit 77

We have at present (32) BOC members signed up...Come on by and meet some Brothers and Sisters of the BOC...We are going to have door prizes at the Dinner and other event through out the day...We are going to be fishing after the Dinner with a Friendly Big Cat Contest...Rules to be set before Gathering Date...
    We look forward to seeing you all there...

18. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I do understand how busy you can get during these tourament times and if you can stop in on us and share a drink,shake some hands and meet a few of the BOC Members for any time at all would be nice...

19. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Is anybody fishing Rend lake this time of year?
    I have a job in Pinckneyville next Wednesday, so I am going to come down on Tuesday to get ready for it. If anybody would like to do a little fishing, let me know as soon as you can, and I will plan on bringing my poles down and doing a little fishing.

20. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Rend still had some ice over the lake.. so have fun! I think I will wait. LOL