Out-fished by an 8 yr old

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by 320hotrod, Aug 30, 2009.

1. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Well, I finally got my boy to show some interest in fishin today, so we headed up to the farm to catch some bait outta the creek. Half hour and 20 chubs later, we stopped by the pond to see if we could wrangle up a few bluegill, too. That's when the fun began! Casting nightcrawlers on the windward bank, he caught a 1/2# channel. I was thinking it was a fluke cause we just stocked that pond last summer with 400 6-8" cats. But for the next hour or so, it was one channel after another, every single cast, and all 10" to 15" long. He was catching them so fast I hardly had time to cast myself.
    What made us quit was running out of worms, so we headed home to get the boat and hit the river. First spot we anchored was upstream a bridge piller by downtown KC. I had taken 4 rods, two for each of us. I out out his first rod, then the second, and had just turned around to bait up mine and his first rod bent on over. Had to be less than two minutes from casting it out. Nice looking blue cat, under ten I'm sure, but always a good fight in the Missouri current! After a lot of praise, I had to give him more when he said he wanted to let it go so another boy could catch it as his first fish. Nice to see some of the old man rub off every now and again.
    Unfortunately, that was the lone fish for the river, but we both had a blast. He had fun with the whole thing, got to see some carp jump, play around on the sand bars, just a good all around day. And I got outfished by my son! Wouldn't have it any other way...

Attached Files:

2. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Glad to hear you and your son had a great day it's allways fun to fish with a little one

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    way to go bubby, in the long run you have actually won. You will have a fishing buddy for life and a son that you will call a friend in the future. Congrats!!

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Give you son a high five for me on the great day fishing. Congrats to him on the blue cat. Nothing better than getting one of your kids into fishing. There will be a ton of memorys in the future for the both of ya.

Tom

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats to the youngster on the catch and the CPR and congrats to you for showing him the way. Pride in a Dad who cares and bragging rights will keep him coming back:big_smile::big_smile: Stay safe and to borrow from Bluejay "Take a kid fishing"!!!:wink:

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Brain ,you probaly enjoyed your son out fishn you ,the most u have ever enjoyed being out fished in your like didn,t you . It is just not the same being outfished by your son or daughter ,than being outfished by your fishing buddies is it ?:wink::big_smile:

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ha-ha you was did(LOL) Love it ....nicely done (LOL)

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :big_smile: awsome story and pic thanks for sharrin !!!!!!

and give that kid a high 5 for me ^5 way to go :wink:!!!

9. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Thanks for all the thanks, fellas. It's been lonely the last couple years as my daughter gave up fishin with me for hanging out with friends (and probably talking about boys:crazy:). Don't reckon I'll entice her back out until she gets past her teens. My son really suprised me with wanting to go because he is quite the little gamer and computer-head, and not much on being outdoors. We talked about how when I was a kid, how I spent every day of summer vacations down at the pond at g-ma's or wading the creek catching bullheads. Kids just have so much marketed to them now-a-days they don't realize what they're missing out on. So, anyways, I catered to him the best I could, quit when he was ready to quit, and he's already asking when we're going fishing again. Plus, he now wants to go deer hunting together come season opener, so bonus there. Now if I can just lighten up the draw enough for him to pull back, we'll be set!
    Thanks again for the support, brothers!

10. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's going down in style. :smile2: Big high 5 for the release. Thanks for sharing.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tell your son congrats on beating the old man at his game. Enjoyed the pic.

12. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thanks for sharing this post and pic. congrats to your boy! Way to go son! Keep on making those memories and REPS to you Brian!

13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    It's always nice to hear a father an son fishing trip. Congrats to you!

14. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for spending time with your boy.
    My father helped me catch the first catfish. We would go to a city lake some where in Okla. He died when I was seven years old that was over fifty years ago. My last memory of him (other than him being in the hospital) was a nighttime; sit on the bank, by the kerosene lantern-fishing trip. Later I realized that he had been real sick but he took me any way. He had tried to teach me to cast with an old style level wind reel. On that last night when I tried to cast I drove a hook thru my ear, thus ending our fishing trip. I still would rather catch cats at night. I just wish I could show my fishing buddy what I caught.

Thanks for the memory.