Out at clinton yesterday.. I caught a 13 inch crappie

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Rajun_Cajun, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    so my dad and i were out at clinton yesterday and we were fishing just kinda trolling the docks and all of a sudden i got a fish. it seems the crappie are biting on tube jigs(blue body, white tail)

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Is that the only one you caught? What depth?

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    lol I swear you are gonna get cancer of the throat by telling people about that Crappie. Congrats (again) though :D

4. timpndr20

timpndr20 New Member

State:
    missouri
    My 18 year old son and I were fishing around the 19mm of LOZ on the afternoon of Feb 19,we each caught our limit easily.We had 2 fish just short of 15 inches,2 13and1/2 inchers and the rest were between 10 and 12 inches.Sounds like they are hitting about the same colors,most of our's came off a blue/sparkle with a clear/sparkle tail tube jig.:)

5. 600lbs

600lbs New Member

State:
    gardner kansas
    i hate jigin i suck at it will anything els work?

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    666lbs, youre in luck, because just this last month, InFisherman printed and article about using crankbaits for crappies. At least if its warm, you can use a crankbait to get their attention. Another thing that I like to do is to do a drop-shot rig with whatever your favorite bait is, and then just drag that along the bottom too. And the classic bobber-with-minnow combo never fails ;)

:0a26:

7. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    hey cathunter... the depth i was at was 16ft. and 666lbs you can use minnows on a hook(just hook them through the back but under the spine) and you can use alot of small plastics. also there is swedish pimples and kastmasters you can use that work great

8. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    also cathunter. me and my dad combined yesterday caught around 36 i belive. about 2 buckets full.

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    What part of Clinton did you tear'um up at?

10. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Might have to go out their and tear those bad boys up.

11. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    cathunter we were at the marina(th only marina) so its not hard to find.

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Wow, the crappie are moving into the Marina cove already!!! I guess this warm winter has them moving for the coves early. Guess I'll go find out today. Did you all mark any shad in the cove, that place loads up during the crappie pre-spawn.

Off to hook up the boat:)

13. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    hahah.. hey a center12.. lawl there kinda there all year round lol. but they are more active. that is for sure.

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Caught a whopping 5 crappie, 1 was 12" and the others were short. Did catch about 25 12-14" shad, the south bank in the back of the cove is loaded!!

Will chase whisker kitties tomorrow, if the wind don't get carried away.

15. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    All this talk about the fishing picking up at Clinton is making it pretty hard to not head out there. I'm still working on getting that boat finished up, but man I'm aching to get out, especially with this weather. High of 69 today, s'posed to be 74 tomorrow, GEEZ.

16. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Haha, youre not alone on that one, flathunter. I am going nuts with cabin fever, but I may be able to sneak out sometime this week and fish for at least a bullhead or two. Hopefully I will catch a channel cat though, even though I love those bullies :) Great little bait fish, I hear.

17. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    hahah bait fish:cursing: ... who you talkin bout willis. hahah there my fav. haha

18. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Yeah, but the little bitty ones (less than 7 inches or so) are supposed to make great flathead bait since they stay alive longer than like, anything else. Never the bigger ones. CPR all bullheads over 1 pound lol :rolleyes:

19. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    The sun is shining, the wind is down and the boats gas tank is full...........time to see if the Clinton kitties are up for a shad feast!!

I know this is mean but I do start my 7 straight days on thursday:sad:. Got to get out while I can;) Promise no fishing talk tomorrow, going goose hunting:eek:

20. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas