Our New-To-Us 1988 17' Polar Craft

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by punkin570, May 15, 2008.

1. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    For those that have heard but haven't seen yet, Hershell (redticrunner) and I have acquired a larger fishing boat that we have been looking for for a good while now. It isn't anything fancy and needs some minor repairs and remodeling that will be done slowly over time but we are very pleased and think we got a good deal.
    We traded our 14' flatbottom aluminium jon boat with 25 hp motor and trailer for this 1988 17' Polar Craft semi-v, aluminium, side console with 85 hp evinrude motor and trailer. It does great on the water, no leaks. There are a few minor repairs that need to be made like adding tilt/trim, captain seats and storage seat because the boards are not in good shape inside (not a problem for 2 people with furniture factory backgrounds), needs new carpeting and had to replace the wench crank after taking it out the first time because it stripped out. None of these are major problems and will jsut take some time. Ohh, and we need to put on a new coil (just discovered that over the weekend). Here are some before photos.. I will post some after photos when we get a few things done to it.

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Here are a few more photos of before.....

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow, congratulations on the new boat! I bet you can't wait to get out on it!

4. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i really like the way forward steering console,leaves more room for out the back fishing. enjoy.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Fine lookin rig. Much better than mine, but i'm lookin for a trade.:cool2:

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Way too go. I bet it sees a lot of use.
    pete

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    that will make a fine catfish rig.

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Punkin, that boat has ya'lls name all over it, it looks like it was made for you two. I know ya'll are going to really enjoy this one much better than your flat bottom. I bet it will get up and move with that 85 on it. We are tickled for ya'll and hope ya'll have many years of fun it it. Thanks for posting the pictures so we could see your new to you boat, we like it.

9. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Punkin, congrats on the New 2 U fish catching machine. :big_smile:

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    And the song "don't rock the baby" plays in my mind now for some strange reason. LOL.

Congrats on the new rig.

11. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats on the new to you rig, more room meens bigger fish right:big_smile:. Looks like alot of new memories to made.

Chris

12. Veets

Veets Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice looking rig Punkin and Hershel. Good luck with it.

For now I have to stick with my little row boat. :0a17: Maybe I can hitch a ride at Pickwick if I can make it in the Fall.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is a neat rig. Congratulations. I may add that FuzzFace and I have our boat set up similar as the side view shown in the second photo. We found in heavy cross winds, the boat had a tendency to come in on top of the side rail. If you experience a similar problem, you may want to add a second rail or at least raise that one up until its just below the gunwales.

14. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    veets, you make it to pickwick we will be more than happy to have you ride with us.