Our Kids Today

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Boomer, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Over the years I have noticed while fishing that there arent as many kids involved in this sport so many of us love, be it what ever kind of fishing you like to do.

Am I the only one that notices it? I rember growing up me and my brother stayed on a river bank or lake, we lived to fish.

I guess kids today have so much more to do that just go fishing.

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I see that too, My boys would have a hard time getting to go fishing with all the homework they get as a result of the "no kids left behind setup'... no joke,, during school days after schools hours are full of homework and weekends also, it's nuts...not like when you our I was in school... ALSO (if parent allowed), unlike us, they have video games to fill in the rest of their time... never giving fishing a fair chance like we did. I'd bet that might have a little (if not alot) to do with some of it anyway.

3. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    I can relate to the school work and things but I bet alot of parents just dont have the patience with kids and fishing. What better way to get in your kids heads and relate to them on a different level, than kickin it on a river till the sun comes up. Parents that dont take advantage of it now are gonna miss it when the youngsters are grown up and involved with there own life.:006::0a17::0a23:

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Amen, I agree brother.

5. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Around here its near impossible to find a place there arnt any kids fishing.This is good for them and the sport but man can they aggrivate at times lol

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I take my daughter out as much as I can,she has quite alot on her plate with 4H and all,but she does do something I think is great.... She asks,Dad ,can we go fishin?

7. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I could post forever on this.....but I won't. Good thread and so true in these parts the only kids on the lake are on PWCs aggravating the dickens out of the guys trying to fish. We have a solution for this, but that is another thread.:wink:

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    well i am going to go back and rep all you guys who brought up home work. now here's my take . i have an eight year old girl and we watch a lot of kids/tweener programs on tv. the one thing they all have in common is one commercial. it's actually an add campaign called go out and play. a lot of the kids we are not seeing on the river are at home with there head in a video game or surfing the net. take them away from home and they have Game boy. take that away and it's text messageing. we don't do video games at my house and my kid is to young to be exposed to net IMO. besides i am lucky in the fact that my kid would rather be outside than anywhere else except school which she seems to love.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    is it that "go out and play an hour a day commercial?" that's the one I see here and I don't think an hour a day is enough. especially during summer break lol

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    yep thats it.they say kids are becomeing sedentary .