Our great flag and my views.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Gator, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    This may get moved and MODS if you fell it need to be put in the high please do so. Thanks

This week, we are given the privilege, again, of celebrating the most beautiful sight in most of our lives: this nation's glorious flag. There is simply no more significant, reassuring, hope-giving, or envied symbol on the planet. Wednesday marks the 90th Flag Day Observance of our now 229-year-old national banner. A special day of respect, joy and thanksgiving for all who are so very fortunate to be living beneath its majestic and protective colors.

Just as there is no more noble, nor more vital, national calling, than military service in defense of home & country, there is certainly no more noble nor enduring flag than America's distinctive stars and stripes of red, white and blue. Born of struggle and strife, our glorious flag has continued to wave, through times of peace, and times of war, a steady, steely symbol of a once-infant nation grown great, a nation forced, at the start, to fight for its freedom, and then later, many times over, fight to retain it.

Despite challenges along the way, our majestic flag has stood through the centuries, as it does to this day, for the bold and steadfast strength of America. It's the outward symbol of our inward resolve. A resolve, in tribute to our courageous founders, to ever-defend our shores and freedoms, and the will to firmly and, if need be, forcefully confront those who would threaten or bring harm to our national interests. Or who might do harm to one of our tenured and true allies, whenever their own security has been threatened. For the security of America is ultimately tied to, and depend upon, that of a free and secure world. To defend same, is our nation's tradition, power, and responsibility, the true meaning woven-within our proud and distinctive flag. It's who we Americans are, and hopefully will forever be.

Every time you have the opportunity, that so many others long for, to recite the sacred pledge of allegiance to our great and free nation, look directly at those historic stars and stripes, let your focus never waver, hear as well as speak those significant words, and be ever grateful. For this we must continue to do, with prayer and thanksgiving, for all that we are so blessed to have, and all too often, so quick to forget.

As stated by a prominent 19th century American pastor, Henry Ward Beecher, in part: "Our flag...means justice. And it means liberty. Every color means liberty. Every thread means liberty. Every star and stripe means liberty." Add to that the sage advice of an individual whose name has been lost to the ages, an admonition that rings so-very-true today: "If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag." On that point, let's be more candid and clear. If, as a resident, you feel no deep, ever-present emotion at the sight of America's flag or heart-felt devotion when reciting your allegiance to this nation, if you are loyalty-conflicted, as a despicable number of individuals and institutions here today are, then you just simply need to get out. Make room for those who truly want to be here. Those with a deep desire to lawfully and meaningfully contribute, and for whom, from among all nations, there is a genuine commitment to love only this one. America was made mighty and great by loyal, industrious and steadfast citizens, not by appeasers, whiners and part-timers.

The dictionary defines patriotism as "love and loyalty for, or zealous support of, one's country." So, to all of you who are serious citizens of this magnificent country, sincerest thanks for the love, loyalty and zealous support that you give, continuously and meaningfully, to our nation and flag which stands for it. With hand over heart, or by crisp salute, may we, and generations to come, continue to have the honor and privilege of supporting, respecting and protecting, America's stars and stripes, as they, in turn, have protected and enriched those responsible citizens among us. And please be forever thankful, for the incredible opportunity and magnificent blessing it truly is, to be, an American.

2. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Gator & Aaron have said it all.peewee-williams

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thank you Jim, very, very good post

5. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    *tears*
    Thank you Jim. That post really nailed me.
    I'm not sure I have ever heard a better description of American pride and patriotism.

6. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Most excellent post. Thank you.

7. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Gator, very well stated. I'll be looking forward to seeing some articles (hint hint) from you while you recover.

Thanks, that post made my day.

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Well said, thanks Gator.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I don't believe that truer words have ever been spoken.Good to see someone stand up for our great flag. There is so many out there who claims to be americans but yet want to destory /and burn our flag. can' t understand those people. IF THEY WANT TO BURN THE FLAG THE LEAST THEY COULD DO IS WRAP THEMSELVES IN IT FRIST. I have a flag flying 24/7 in my yard. And yes it has a light on it at night. Back to your post that was really well spoken and thought out.
    I salute you sir for what you stand for. America needs more like you. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS>

10. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    Very good post!!!!!!!!!!

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    thanks for posting that, Jim

12. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    proud to be an American, blessed by God to be a southerner. those that don't like our country can go back to wherever!

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    great post and i feel the same as the other posters .
    and to add a foot note if i may

to those who are too cool or too lazy or too stupid to remove your cap
    and show proper respect by placeing your hand across your heart
    at least take the cap off and look at the flag silently . JMO

14. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well put, and thanks.

15. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Amen and your always welcome to give your input any time.

16. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Awesome post Jim,God bless you brother...

17. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Jim You done Good!!!

18. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Great post Jim, Thanks!!!:big_smile:

19. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great post! AMEN!

MAJ D

20. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Jim man I did not think you could put into words what was in your heart but I know that is where that came from and boy did it ever come out to you I say GREAT POST