Our dogs caught their first hog tonight.

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by jlingle, Sep 13, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Bray and I went out this afternoon & our dogs caught their first hog. It was pretty darn cool. If I had been using my head, we could've caught this one, all of the dogs had a good hold. I got all excited & put a .22 to her head & ended the deal. Oh well, maybe next time we'll get it tied.

We were awfully excited, this is only the 4th hunt his 2 pups have been on. Our older female has been on tons of hogs, just all of 'em before we got her. We gave the hog to a local fella who makes tamales. He was nearly as excited as we were.

Anyway, we're on our way. We had a couple of guys contact us & tell us they could boost our "dog power" with some of their dogs. I hate to get to borrowing too many dogs, because we don't have a tracking system yet. More dogs could really benefit us a lot at this point.

Attached Files:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sounds interesting, never done or seen it done. Sounds like a great time.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Awesome, congrats! I know it's exciting as helk!!! I go down to texas sometimes with an old friend of mine. How many dogs you using? When I've been we used 3 bay dogs, red kerr, and 3 catch dogs 1 pit and 2 americans. let 2 catch dogs run with bays and kept one leased in case we needed a fresh dog if they got into a biggun. I sometimes make tamales out of them also, man they are good....:wink:

Good Hunting
    mike

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Bein from Jersey I have never seen anything like that before. Only hogs we got up here are two legged. LOL! Very cool. THANX!

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice pics. Thanks. Anyone here ever use Great Danes as your control and kill dog? They were specifically bred to kill deer, wolves and wild boar. We had one as a farm dog here in Iowa. Came home one day to find he had killed two 120 lb hogs in a pasture. He was my wifes dog or he wouldn't have been around long. They are usually quite gentle with folk and get along with other dogs well.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Cool!! Now ya just need to dig a hole in the ground, for your pit and cook that sucker whole.

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Great pics!! thanks for sharing!!!!

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    man i have had a lotta fun doing that down here in the delta!! great pics.

back when i was more into it we ran a couple of rocky mt. kurs, and a couple of pits. one rednose one white american.

i got out of it because i watched a guy use an axe handle to break his dogs hold, which isnt unusual, unless you are beating it across his nose.:sad2:

still i miss doin' it.:smile2: