Our day at Bagnell

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AfterTheBiguns, Jul 29, 2007.

1. AfterTheBiguns

AfterTheBiguns New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well we started out today about 10am after getting some shad and fished till about 2pm. Had eight cats in the boat by two and decided to stop and get something to eat. Got back by 4pm and fished till 8ish. Ended up with another four. It started getting alittle crowded so we decided to go. Had four blues from 3 to 8lbs and the channels went 2 to 4 pounds. All in all it was a great day with the exception of my Abu and Ugly stick that went flying out of the boat headed towards the Dam.:sad2: I just got my boat and am trading it for another one on Monday so I didnt set up my rod holders yet. I had just set it down and put my foot on it so I could get the birds nest out of my other rod when bam it was gone. Ill get the rod holders set up in the new boat before I take it out next weekend.

2. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Thanks for posting your results Chris sounds like you hada good day fishing just a bad day retaining fishing rods know how that goes lost one myself.

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Good post, thanks! Where were you fishing by the dam? I know the area fairly well and am curious. What type of rig, depth and bait? I fish around there often and haven't done very good over all. We fish a lot in and around the first little cove (closes to the dam) to your left when you facing the dam. We have tried drifting in the middle of the lake in front of the dam and just haven't done well at all. We usually use shad at about 25' deep with the usual three way swivel the sinker about 1 oz or so.

4. AfterTheBiguns

State:
    Missouri
    We were drifting from the first gate closest to the turbines to about 50 yards past the ramp. We were using 7/0 circles with cut shad. I was runing about 10in of line behind my 1/2 oz sinker and swivel. Most of the Blues seemed to hit before the line hit bottom and the channels were hitting further down by the ramp. I kinda hate to see the water slow down as we have really enjoyed the fishing the last month.

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Not this past Saturday, but the one before that a buddy and I caught a bunch of channels from 1-4 pounds a few hundred yards below the ramp right along the bank. The channels and the white bass had a bunch of shad school up against the bank and just pigging out.

We only caught one blue that day while drifting. He hit right in front of the ramp.

There's a hole right below the 54 bridge made the screen on my fish finder go black with fish. It's about 40 foot deep and they were holding between 30 foot and the bottom. I'm not sure if it was asian carp, paddlefish or what, we fished it for a bit and never got any hits. I do know that we snag a lot of paddlefish out of that hole in the spring though. Just thought I would let you guys know in case somebody else wants to check it out sometime.

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Thanks again, sounds like the water might be slowing down? I wouldn't think so with Truman so high and LOZ is high also. Should run fast for a while I would think.

7. AfterTheBiguns

State:
    Missouri
    Seth
    Im sure we saw you there. Weve been at Bagnell for the last six weekends. We drive a red 97 Dodge shortbed and a lifted red 89 Suburban w/ 33in tires. I had a 16'6 Landau with a Yamaha, but just traded it for a 18ft Tracker Pro Tournament. If you see me there holler at me. Later,Chris

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I haven't decided if I am going to head up there again this weekend or not. I've been thinking about maybe going to Truman also. Might not make it to either if I decide to go flathead fishing with a buddy at some lake by his house. I'll let you guys know what I decide on.

I need to get some rod holders put on my boat bad for this catfishing stuff. There's a few holes I went over with the graph that I would like to anchor and fish out of the back of the boat.

I have a 16' silver jonboat with a 50 horse yamaha jet drive on the back. Usually pull it with a white 98 Dodge Cummins regular cab long bed truck or my buddies dark grey extended cab Dodge 2500 hemi.