Our Best Trophy Catfish Waters

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by sjohn58, May 22, 2009.

1. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Man, what a read:big_smile:

All these years of chasing a channel 20 pounds + and reaching the 20 mark was awesome. After reading that makes me a little more prouder. Plus that fish went back so in time hopefully that Jacomo record will be broken in a few years.

I hope they put a limit on the size of big blues, flats and/or channels that one can keep.

2. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri

i would kinda like to see something like Tn.'s size regs. your only allowed to keep one over 36 inches, and you are unlimited on the rest. they sure have a lot of fish over 36 inches swimming around there.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Some waters are just more fertile then others. So I don't think unlimited would be a good idea. At least on the missouri river....

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Limits and size restrictions work. When the state of VA put blue cats in the Rappahannock River in the late 70s we got some nice big fish up to and over 50 pounds pretty quickly within 10 years. Word got out and the trotliners and limb liners cleaned them out. Rare to hear of a big fish coming out of the Rappahannock these days. Move south one hour to the James river where the guides and Sportfisherman pressed to put a one big fish per day over 32 inches as a limit and its a whole different deal. From March 14 - April 29,, I caught over 100 Bluecats that weighed 30 pounds or better. I fished every day for two to five hours and only fished a three mile section of river. The ramp I use is 15 minutes from my house. I am certain we would not have our trophy fishery without the big fish rule. I do not know of a single time that anyone has taken a big fish out of the James. The attitude of catch and release for big fish is why we have what we do. The river is chock full of eater 2-10 pound bluecats. The state says way to many and want folks to take as many as they please. I took a guy Bank fishing at the ramp May 2out in my boat. We fished from dawn until 11:00 AM. That old boy filled my 100 qt cooler full of eater cats.

Last week a guy caught the new state record 102 pounds. They took it in a livewell to a place with certfied scales. A biologist from the state witnessed everything. Afterwards the fish was taken back to the James and released to fight another day. Give the James time and the Alton record will fall.

One thing is for sure. Once they hang from a hook in someones back yard, ain't nobody gonna catch that one again. I don't mean to preach and I love eating what I catch, I just feel strongly about letting the big ones go so I and my friends can catch them again.:big_smile:

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i agree with you to an extent, however i believe the missouri and its tributaries to be very fertile waters. the unlimited on anything under 36 inches statement is debateable. i agree with you in the sense that we really dont need everybody out there grabbing up tons of fish at a time, but keeping in mind flatheads and blues will lay 1000 eggs per pound of body wieght must be considered. the fact that one 30 pound fish can lay as many as 30,000 eggs does tend to mean that you will have a huge ratio of small fish to big trophy fish. focusing on the smaller ones will allow the larger ones to explode the population, maybe back to the way it was in the early settler days when people said the missouri was so plentiful with massive cats that you could walk across it on thier backs.