Our Alaskan trip

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Jul 1, 2006.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Several have requested pictures more information about our recent trip.

We flew to Seattle, join all our family members from TX. We spent a full day seeing downtown Seattle. Rented a van and drove 400 miles seeing northwest Washington's beautiful country, this was a very full day!

Flew to Juneau, AK and boarded the Empress of the North. It's a stern wheeler that takes 235 passengers. The Empress is not a floating hotel like the large ships, she is more like a floating family. But with live entertainment, spacious accommodations and fine dining usually found only on larger ships. Remarkably maneuverable, she can safely edge close to the shoreline and go other areas where the big ones can't. We ate seafood every day.. the best was the Jumbo Alaskan Red King crab Legs! The very best we've ever eaten! They serve 3 full meals a day, dinner is five course. And if that doesn't fill you they also have a 24 hour snack bar that has soft drinks, coffee, hot chocolate, hot dogs, sandwiches, chili, fresh cookies, ice cream, etc., everything self serve as much as you wish. I didn't gain but 6 lbs.

There was 21.5 hours a day of daylight but we very seldom saw the sun. So quality of picture taking suffers from no sun. The three hour time change was a little hard to adjust to.

We saw lots of whales, most were too far for a good picture and the ones up close I always missed having my camera ready. Saw lots of eagles, mountain goats, some bears, lots of seals. In one picture the icebergs are covered with little specs... that's the mother seals with babies.

The ship makes ports at Skaway, Glacier Bay, Sita, Petersburg, Wrangell, Misty Fjords and Ketchikan. They told us it rains almost every day in Ketchikan but it didn't when we were there! In fact the sun was shining.

The ship includes excursions to special sights at each port. Our first day included a train ride over the White Mountain pass on the Yukon Railroad. This is a very scenic ride. It goes over the mountain into Canada then we boarded motor coaches for a scenic drive back to Skaway.

We boarded a large Catamaran for a full day excursion into Glacier Bay National Park. The reason is that the Empress is not permitted in the park due to the limit on the number of vessels. This seemed unfair for the Empress is a USA registered vessel and we saw other foreign vessels. The Empress will be able to get a Park permit in time. But it was a good day and we had some GREAT smoked salmon for lunch!

They saved the best for last, for the last day was the greatest of of all. The complete day is spent cruising the Glaciers. Glaciers are so interesting. We liked this much better than Glacier Bay NP. The crew told us they closed the water proof lower doors the last day due to icebergs, the water was almost slush. Also icebergs have only 10 % above water.

The cruise ends at Juneau. They provided motor coaches to the air port.

We only saw a tiny bit of Alaska but what we saw was awesome!

Links to some boring pictures are on my web site and here.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great story and some Beautiful pics!!! Thank You for sharing them!

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i guess you done alright walking the trails...lol. now that would be a cruse to me. i dont care anything about going south towards that cuda place they say is so great. nice looking fleet of catfishing boats in there too. thats one of them places you feel like you run a 100mph to get there and then everything stops when you arrive. i really like the looks of that trip. thanks for sharing.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Dayton, Great pictures! Beautiful country there and the color of the water is amazing! Looks to be a great destination!

5. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Sounds like you had a 'whale' of a time up there.I have a friend who works in the summer month's up there.He told me people will give thier eyeteeth for fresh catfish.

6. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Dayton:

I can see by the Pics that you had an awesome trip. My wife and I looked at every one and it is a Beautiful place as we already knew from living up there for 9 years. I had never had the opportunity to see Southeast Alaska where you were but have seen it on photos and Videos. We lived in Kenai on the Kenai Penninsula and it has some awesome scenery also. The Wildlife and scenery are to behold. Dang it Dayton, You have both of us ready to move Back up there. LOL

Thanks for sharing your Trip;

Gene

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dayton, Alaska has some of the most beautiful scenery in this country of ours. I had the pleasure of being stationed at Anchorage when Alaska became a state. I've always wanted to take the Mrs. on a trip just like the one you describe. I think its great you had the experience.:big_smile:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Dayton, great pics andglad you had good time. See john the bears didn't get him.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I forgot to ask,what was on fire in that one pic? Just curious.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, it was a house fire in Ketchikan.

Thanks guys!

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    OK Thanks, I wasn't sure,I figured that but thought I would ask.Those were some beautiful pics,can't wait till the other half gets home so I can show her.

12. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Dayton,
    Those pictures were soo good. Im glad that you and Mrs. Betty had the chance to experience such an amazing place. Thanks for posting the pictures, we enjoyed seeing them.

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Dayton,
    So glad you and your lovely wife had a great time! You are about the 5th person that has almost convinced me to take a trip up there! Pictures are awesome and I love the one of you and the Gold miner statue. I always loved to watch the show Northern Exposure, too. Hmmm, gotta finish looking at the pics.

Thanks for sharing the information and the beautiful pictures! Just next time, PM one of us to say, "be off line a while". Don't have to say why, unless you want to, we were just concerned and worried about you and yours.

Take care!

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    The totem pole pics are great, too! I just keep finding more! Thanks again for sharing.

15. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    wow.....
    that is my dream to at least go up there and see what it is like... and i would love to hook some halibut in the sea... and hunt some caribou and moose....

oh i would just have a blast

thanks for sharing the pics

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    A totem pole was the only souvenir my wife bought. :lol:

Thanks for looking.

17. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Great pics Dayton! Sure looks like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing them.