Our Adventure TWO "PBs" Cumberland River

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by my4x4awd, Mar 24, 2007.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    I went on my 2nd trip to Cumberland Steam plant Thursday 22nd and my son's first. People were catching shad at the wall, but we were looking for skipjacks. We caught two about a foot long and a few small ones. Just weren't having much luck at the outlet of the plant. Im still finding my way around the area so somebody help me out here...We rode up to what I think they call Lock "C", im guessing just a concrete wall on the left bank??? So we settle in on the river to fish and started catching a few 10-15 pounders. I had to use my son's bass pole with 12lb test since I broke my other rig a week earlier. I thought I would try out a 7/0 circle hook, my first time. Missed the first fish. Hard to break that jerk their head off mentality. So I miss a few more. Anyway on with the story. My other rig a big Quantum salt water spinning with a khale and 2oz lead and 30lb big game. So guess which one the 34lbs blue hits. Yep the bass pole with 12lb test.. So after the fish is CPR I dance the jig teasing my son about not breaking the family record and my PB. Then it happens 20 minutes later. He hangs a big one and strips off the line. I say sure it is big, but when double over that Ugly stick, I see a PB comming. He has a bait cast with braided line that can handle big fish. He pulls the fish up and it goes back down, We see the kahale just in the corner of the mouth. Trouble a brewing. SO now Im worried if he will get it in the boat. Our qualifier, you gotta lay hands to count. But after several minutes He pulls it up and we see it rolling on top water. It took a while and of course that big tale gets me wet head to toe. That big overpriced net paid it dues today. Anyway Dad so proud of my son's 40 inch long 42 lb blue. SO we CPR it and about a dozen others over 10lbs. Kept a fe eaters. Now his favorite fishing hole. And what a day. Thanks for listening. Craig

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Congratulations on those fish and, on a great day spent with your son!!!

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Craig, I like the way you tell a story. It sounds like you have a good time fishing. I think that would be my favorite hole too! lol :big_smile:

4. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    great catch wish we could have meet today.but i sent you a private message i got 185 skip in todays down there and had to stop fishing for them no more room to put them...did see a 20 or 25 blue caught of the back wall. lots of rock fish 10 to 15 lb range but the shad were all over millons on millions..

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great report! Congrats on the catch!

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    congrats on the catch and the PB. There is a lot of good water around lock C. The TN record blue came from there.

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is great man. Let's see some pics

8. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    way to go and great catch and story thanks

9. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Pictures for your viewing pleasure to go along with the story!
    \CRaig

Attached Files:

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    nice story and pic's. I think i talked to you thursday afternoon, just after your trip!

i was the dude driving the funny lookin Scion in the taco bell drive thru in Dickson... Was gonna ask ya bout the BOC, but the line kept moving and i had to pickup my taco..LOL

good job!!

cyas
    robert

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the story and pics. Looks like a great day on the water with the son.When I compared your fish with your sons It looked like yours had been on a diet. Ha. Ha.:lol: :big_smile: :big_smile:

12. xmannt

xmannt New Member

State:
    TN
    Good to hear other dads take the kids out there to. I have to admit my best day at the plant was with my son. I actually didn't do all that well that day. But you should have seen my son, He landed 2 good ones that day. a 10 and 12 ponder. He had a 6 foot pole with a zebco 33 and you should have seen the fight. Wow, 20 minutes or so for each and he was spent. a little net work on my part but it was all him. The steam plant is by far my favorite spot even when the big ones aren't bitting.

13. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    welcome to BOC X

14. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Awesome trip & congrats on the new PB"s