Ouch

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by CATCHUP, Aug 7, 2006.

1. CATCHUP

CATCHUP New Member

State:
    north carolina
    anybody ever let a big blue chomp down on just your pinky finger or thumb

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

not on purpose but when it has happened it was my whole hand

3. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Nope and I never will without a pair of thick gloves. I always use a lip gripper tool they sell at the proshop and support the body of the fish with my other arm. But for the big ones I will use the lip gripper and have my buddy hold the fishes body, because I dont want to take a chance of getting finned in my chest.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I also try to keep one hand gloved when bringing in the fish. I found some great vinyl-coated gloves at Big Lots.

I have been wondering, though, if gloves are a good idea if you are practicing C&R. Does anyone know if catfish are harmed by gloves?

5. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    The only thing that is affected by touching any type of fish when handling it is taking off some of the slime coat on its skin. This coat is used to protect the fish from infections, disease, etc. But it will grow back shortly after it is released. But if you are going to C&R the fish, do not over stress the fish (having it out of the water too long), if the hook is deep in the fishes mouth its best to cut the line and let the hook come out on its own, and do not touch the gill area of the fish when handling it because it can damage the fishes ability to breath properly. When I catch fish to C&R them I net the fish out of the water, remove the hook if possible, hold the fish with the lip gripper and support the body, have the pic taken, lower the fish into the water, and wait until the fish swims out of your hands when it is ready.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Josh:....That's good advice........

7. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    ya on my big finger it hert bad:confused2: but was worth the catch!

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Yep, had it happen. It's kind of bittersweet you know. At least you are holding a big fish when it happens, kinda takes the pain away and awes the others in the boat when you show them the power of the cat.

9. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    ive stuck my finger in there mouth a few times treating them like a flathead when I was drinkin and Ive did it a few times with big channels to. My friends always get a good laugh.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yes I have had it happen to many times

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes I've had the painful expierence.They have bony ridges for teeth and they drew a little blood.So I'll agree OUCH!!!:crazy: