Ouch!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Randync, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Was fishing with my 14 year old son Chris at Lookout Shoals last night. He caught a little cat, maybe 6-8 inches long. I told him to hold it up for my camara phone so we could send his mom a pic of the "Big" fish he caught. The fish went nuts moving around and stuck him in 3 places. The last time he actually got stuck in Chris's hand and had to be pulled out! After he turned the little rascal loose, he tried to keep fishing, but his hands started swelling a little, and he was bleeding. His mom took him to the ER and they gave him a tetnus shot due to the poor water quality (the doc said) and gave him pain pills and anti biotics.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

it doesn't matter about the size of the fish they all can put a hurting on you. as for the little guy what a soilder to try and keep fishing I know his hand was hurting.

3. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Man!!! That had to have hurt.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man, that sucks. The little ones are actually the worst of all if you ask me because they are hard to hold right. I always am extra careful with them, I try to get my hook out without getting my hands near the fins as much as possible.

When I was in Florida not long ago, I caught this little bait fish with yellow fins, didn't know what it was, and didn't know it had some poison in it's fins. I grabbed it and felt a jolt of some sort of bacteria go through my hand. It was terrible, my hand got very swollen, and it kept bleeding, for about a whole hour.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That sounds painful. I think those little ones are much harder to deal with than bigger ones.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Didn't mom give you a talk, We should all remember to watch out for kids. Some people can swell 2 or 3 times normal from a fish stab. Some ocean fish can kill with their sting.

I feel for the kid, a small stab will turn me red and the site will become very tender, I feel the pain for hours.

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Catfish have a toxin in there fins. the glands are at the base of the top and side fins. that is why you bleed so much. I have been slashed by the rays on fins of big channels not just poked.

8. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    o dang sounds like what happened to me.
    that had to hurt!

9. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    He's a tough kid. He wanted to go back tonight and try again. We were getting alot of hits on the Liver we used, but had problems keeping it on the hook. He will usually fish for hours in any kind of weather with no complaint. That is how I knew he was hurting when he asked to stop fishing. He was still willing to sit and watch me fish, but I took him on home.

10. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i think we all have been there. my dad always said when you get fined rub the spot on the fishes belly. acording to him something about the fish slime makes it stop hurting but for me kicking,throwing and cussing get it done:smile2:

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sorry to hear that, sounds like the poor kid was in some pain. Glad to see they got him taken care of though. He will be back on the water in no time.

12. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    There is a toxin on three fins of the catfish. The catfish itself contains an anti-toxin. If you get stuck simply rub some of the slime of the catfish where you were stuck. In 10 seconds it will stop bleeding and won't hurt anymore. It is a scientific fact!

13. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    so after all these years my dad could have been right.:eek:oooh: