OUCH!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fnddragn, Aug 19, 2009.

1. fnddragn

fnddragn New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Went out this morning to a local river to see what I could find. One large bream and one small flathead. The flathead was about 12-14 inches long and i figured that I could lip him, like a bass, and get the hook out. Stuck my thumb in its mouth and it closed that big mouth of his and my whole life flashed before my eyes. OK, maybe not that bad but it did hurt more then I was expecting. So I would like to know how do the rest of the group handle large fish. I may have to learn to put up with pain then I want to. I can hear the Catfish Gods now, don't be a girly man be a real man and suck it up.
    Dave

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Grab em all right by the lip . 12 to 14 inches biting down aint squat wait till you grab that 50 pounder by the lip in fear of him getting off and you lose the skin off the top of you knuckles . lol ..

You could get a fancy pair of fish grips from team catfish or get you one of those leather work gloves .

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep man up, my thumbs missing some skin and still hurts from this mourning.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    A big one doesn't hurt till the next day when the adrenaline wears off:smile2:

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with this post girlyman :wink::smile2: j/k, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:.

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dont feel bad, your not the only one.. I have been clamped down on many a times.:sad2:

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    don't be a girly man be a real man and suck it up Dave .:smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Those raw knuckles and scrapes on the back of my hand was how my co-workers used to judge my weekend. That was when I was noodling... haven't had the occasion to skin my hands that much since I quit. But that's all right. LOL

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i usually forget to put on the glove until the 4 th or 5 th flatty and my hands are already a bloody mess :eek:oooh:

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    those scraped up fingers and knuckles are a badge of honor my friend:wink:

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I'd rather bare hand lip a flathead anyday before lipping a blue cat. :smile2:

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If you aint got no scrapes it,s cause you aint landing no fish.Your hands will get used to it.:roll_eyes:.The only reason I can think of to wear a glove is if your a diehard michael jackson fan!:eek:oooh:

13. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :smile2::smile2: that was not a bite wait around or before spwan season and then you will the pain :smile2::smile2: they love to chomp down harder around then

14. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Just one word,,, BOGA's
    Check out my avitar pic...:wink:
    Puddle

15. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I feel your pain bro, I have had to land some biggers ones barehanded because I was by myself and didn't have a net, they'll take the skin right off!!

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Wear ya some gloves on the bigguns if lipping. Welcome to the BOC. What state are ya from?

17. fnddragn

fnddragn New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I am in North Carolina, Durham to be exact. I live about 20 Mi. from Jordan Lake and about the same distance from the Eno River. So far it has been channels in the lake and flatheads in the river. Being retired I get to go mostly when I want or should I say when I can get away.
    Dave

18. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually am stupid and just but my hand in there and get lots of cuts. I have a nice size one that really got a hold of my thumb last week. My favorite was when a nice 30lb flat had the hook way down in its throat. I had my whole arm in this fish trying to get the hook out so he decided to spin on me. Not only did the line cut three fingers but I had scars all down my arm from teeth marks. It even was bleeding descent for a while. I think it is totally worth it though.

19. Bricky

Bricky New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have had it hurt for three days after. It just reminds me how much fun I had.

20. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yeah Dave!! Not to make ya quit catfishing, but wait until a catfish spins in your hands and rams the fin spike into your flesh right to the bone!!:angry: Now that's some good pain bro!! Been there done that!! A couple stitches later and some pain killer, I was good to go. Only after a couple days of putting up with the pain and getting the feeling back into my hand!!

Maybe some gloves and a landing net? Just some advice. Catfish are some gnarly creatures!!