Ouch..warning....7 Stitches

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dogcat, Apr 8, 2007.

1. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    After so many years of catch and release strictly for cats, I have harvested some really nice trout the last couple of weeks. I stopped by an old friend's house before going to Mom's" for Easter" with two prime Rainbow trout that I would freeze for cut bait that I had caught this morning. Judy's eyes lit up when I said they came off the stringer alive when they hit the ice in my cooler and loves trout. So I prepped them like I had some others this off season over the past few months and Bill approved of the qulaity of the meat amy method of prepping just as thier their guest's arrived. Filet knife "grazed" my fore finger on my guitar playing hand and I soaked a few bunches of paper towels in the garage, no big deal. So without their guests knowing she wrapped it in gauze and I assured everyone it was just a nick and headed off to mom's. Told mom I knicked myself and had Easter dinner then I asked did we have a nice Easter? She assured me it was a good Easter than I said ...well you can look it but while I was in the bathroom I was making sure Urgent Care was open on my cell, I simply told her it was a bit more and was going to go. Darn.....7 stitches from a simple slip, after cleaning the fish. The worst part was that the couple there waiting before me at Urgent Care were there with a cold/flu /upper respiratory infections so I pleaded with the doc who sewed me up, I just missed slicing through a tendon, not to give me what they have when he came in since he saw them before me. LOL.

I am fine but 10 days of stitches won't keep me from fishing on my days offbut I told everyone tonight...if you want to eat what I can catch....you are cleaning it... I am only taking pictures again from now on. Lets have some warm weather and some active fish please whoever is in control of Mr. Whiskers, this bait fishing is boring :)

2. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    wow scott, heres to speedy recovery. Be a little more careful next time!:wink:

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Hope ya heal fast brother, good luck with the recovery.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Scott sorry to hear about your accident shows how fast you can get hurt

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Get well soon! I feel for you. I broke two fingers pretty bad while fishing once and it messed up my guitar playing for awhile, until I figured out it was a good time to learn how to play slide guitar! I have been playing slide ever since! When life hands you lemons, go get yourself some Tequila!

6. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    man I cut through the tendon on the top of my guitar hand before and had to get some of it stitched back together,not to mention the 12 that went into my skin. I went back home that night and started to play while my hand was still numb. played every day after that and actually have a wider spread now. I guess its because scar tissue stretches more than flesh. being a lead guitar player who is a total shred-geek the extra little bit actually helps. I have had alot of cuts on my finger tips and the worst thing is when you do a bend and the string slides right into you wound!! OUCH!!!!!! lol @ bloody guitar strings:crazy:

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I feel your pain. I chopped to tip of my finger off a while back. It bled for days, and no guitar playing for me. Get better soon.

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Hey Scot finger fillets don't eat well ........ LOL Hope you heal fast and sorry to hear of this.

9. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Glad to hear you're okay, Scott! It's alot easier to slip with the knife when your hands are ice cold, I know. Heal quickly... fishin is great rehab :lol:

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hope you heal fast man! This is why I am leary of Electric Fillet knives!:crazy:

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Doggonit Scott.... seems like everything you touch hurts when you cut your hands. Bummer, I hope you heal up quickly.

12. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow cutting up rainbow trout for bait? That would be like me cutting up a crappie here in central Illinois. I don't think so, I like eating fish too much. I think I can find a less tastier bait (for me anyway) to nab a cat:roll_eyes: . Hope you heal fast, the world needs more music.

Wooly

13. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Ouch is right. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

14. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Oh jeez, you aren't going to believe this. I did exactly the same thing 8 weeks ago, had two coolers full of gizzard shad and redhorse and was cutting it to freeze for bait. First fish and I did that finger filet thing, 7 stitches on my guitar hand (also known as my fishing rod hand), $500 +/- for the emergency room (everything else was closed), and still had to package 60 lbs of bait in the middle of the night when I finally got home. Amazing coincidences with several of us! Hope everyone else is more careful!

15. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio

Been there before brother too with the open sores on tips but never had stitches and this stupid brace though. Oh well what doesn't kill ya.....

16. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    That idea crossed my mind but like others posted, it's a little tender to be messing around. This metal splint, once straightened out some, will serve nicely for slide and have the acoustic tuned to open G now for when the Bacardi is enough to get past the pain and I feel it's time.
    One good thing is that it has been 25 years or so since I have had a tetanus shot....I am good for 7-10 years now!!!

Thanks all for your thought's, replies, and best wishes. I have today off so once I get a bit more shut eye I am thinking a prophylactic and a large glove and getting back on the horse that threw me, there is plenty of bait to be caught yet:big_smile: .

17. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    LOL... I told my friend Bill after he made a wise crack along the same lines after what Judy had done to bandage it that all I could do was flip him a peace sign!!!! :smile2:

18. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    LOL...yep but it's true... LOL

19. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sure hope that wasn't your nose pickin' finger...:lol:
    Heal up quick.. we got a fishin' contest comin' up...:big_smile:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    There appear to be many clouds, but they quickly pass.

20. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio