ouachita

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by yellowlabman45, Dec 30, 2007.

1. yellowlabman45

yellowlabman45 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    anybody here fish the ouachita river

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have fished that river many many times around Monroe and West Monroe,Louisiana.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i fish the ouichita from mena to the head of ouichita lake.

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Scotty welcome to the BOC.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Scotty! Years ago, I fished it once where it runs into Lake Ouachita. Didn't have much luck.

6. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Scotty,

Welcome to the Boc.

I used to fish that river every day for about ten years back in the early 80's to mid 90's mainly at Felsenthaw National Wildlife Refuge. I have fished that river every where from above Camden at Tates Bluff to down around Monroe La. There are a lot of catfish in that River and you can catch some good ones. It is trot lined pretty heavily in the early spring all thru the summer. About the only time I fish it anymore is in the coldest part of the winter, not because they don't bite at other times but because I fish the Red River that is closer to me. Good luck fishing and holler if you can't get them all in the boat and I'll come help, lol.

don3778

7. yellowlabman45

State:
    arkansas
    thanks for the welcome everyone i been fishing it out of camden every chance I get been doing ok. hardest thing this time of year getting fresh bait what do the rest of you do for bait

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a small bait freezer that I fill up with skipjack every spring. That way, if I can't get fresh bait, I've got some frozen skippies.

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    like jtrew ive got an ice chest i keep skipjacks in.i also have a 2500 gal pond i keep bream in and have a lot of mountain streams that i can catch chub minnows year round.

10. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Myself and poisonpits fish the Ouchita every chance we get. Some times we catch some, sometimes we don't. but the fun and friendship is always worth it!!!

Hollar sometime and maybe we can meet up to do some fishing!!

What part of Arkansas are you from?

11. yellowlabman45

State:
    arkansas
    I,m from bearden about 20 miles north of camden. I fished the river for about 2 hours this afternoon had several bites but caught no fish the wind and cold was tough

12. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Hey Scotty, next time you get a chance to go, try fishing near the locks either at Thatcher or Felsenthal. We have caught a lot of fish there this time of the year. We usually don't catch the big ones there but catch some in the 10 to 15 lb range and a lot of good eating size too.

Good luck

doon

13. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I fish the Ouachita from about a mile above where the Saline river runs into it down to lock 6. I mostly fish the Saline river now.I freeze catalpa worms,crawdads,cutbait,and deer liver.That way I have bait early in the year.Works for me.

14. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    I'll give you a fresh report after tomorrow. Going to Felsenthal to fish above the locks in the morning. Hope the wind isn't bad cause I don't think we will have very much current anyway.

On the bait question posted a few post back we are like many others in that we catch skipjack in the spring and freeze them to use all during the year when we can't get fresh bait. Its the only thing we use for bait anymore.

don3778

15. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Don- let us know how you do.take a few pics if you get a chance

16. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Ok Newton, I sure will. We are planning on trying the catfish mainly but if they aren't doing too much we might try some crappie fishing if the wind doesn't get up too much and we get too cold, lol.

don

17. yellowlabman45

State:
    arkansas
    I have fish a couple more times and done pretty good, fish in the 2# to 7# range going to hit them pretty hard soon as duck seasons over. As far as baits goes I built 2 of the bream traps that I seen on this sight they are awesome I bait them up with bread or dog food throw them out in 2 to 3 hours you got bait. One time I had 46 bream in one another time I had 64 also caught some huge crawfish and some mudcat. They are the best thing since sliced bread just put them out on your way to work when you get off go pick up your bait dont get any easier than that, also ask permission to throw my cast net in a neighbors pond found out its full of shad I get anywhere from 2 to 15 shad every time I throw it, so I,m set as far as bait goes I told my neightbor if he will let me get bait I would keep him in fresh catfish cared him 3 messes so far cleaned ready to fry good deal for me and him both