Ouachita River

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by TOPS, Oct 14, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Any of you Louisiana members fish the Ouachita out of Monroe or West Monroe? :confused:

2. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    I haven't fished there, but I wouldn't be suprised if the folks from Shreveport go there. Sgt. Rob has posted a lot in the past.

3. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    Sure do Top, and hoping to find some other BOC folks that do also. Posted in LA roll call about this as well.

From late Oct. thru May I have something going on continuously just about.
    Downriver from moon lake marina a couple miles on the west side is a riverlake called by some 'cotton patch lake'. family property borders the river and a bit of this lake and this is where i do 99 percent of my fishing. just this afternoon after work ill be putting my wirenets back out and this weekend ill be running yoyo's and trotlines too. of course being off the river ill have to about stay out there all weekend with them but thats okay.

when the river starts to rise ill keep on fishing the same but will also shift to some landlocked riverlakes to lessen the amount of theft from my wirenets.
    im out here just about every day checking things so let me know if u or other BOC bro's are roaming this stretch of the ouachita and at the very least stop by and have a beer with me. waters a tad low to get a bass boat in that riverlake, an alum boat no problem if u have someone to ride the nose and eyeball the logs and stumps. i run my yoyo's in a circular pattern in that lake and have DOT reflective tape on the back of them. if u see them follow the trail and my johnboat will be up on the bank on the south end of that lake.
    i dont leave yoyo's for long.

lookin forward to a handshake.
    chad

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Sounds like you got it going on. I love to yo-yo fish. Trot lining is not my cup of tea. I do jug fish and have a few . I will tell you one of my hot spots. This will be where Beouf River flows into the Ouachita River at Columbia,Louisiana. Fish the mouth of the river. Do you have a boat and what type?

5. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    Is a forteen foot johnboat i keep chained up on the bank. Had an outboard for it but never replaced it when it got stolen. When i get lazy ill use a little electric motor but since my first hooks or nets are within fifty feet of the bank a motor isnt necessary. Same goes for the landlocked riverlakes... hard to toss a bigger boat on the back of the truck to go bounding off thru the woods and ive even been known to drag one behind a 3-wheeler. hahaha

at high-water ive buddies i run stuff with that have slightly bigger boats we will zip up and downriver a bit in but i seem to always have plenty of whiskerfish in the freezer so why bother with much else?

when i lived in start i fished Crew a little bit but all i ever caught were bullheads so i gave it up. never fished the beouf river, ive duck hunted a lot on it when i was a kid but no fish. i did fish lafourche a little but got tired of
    catchin five goo to every one catfish and now that its infested with those jumping carp i dont see me going back. i did get down there once and for life of me cant remember where? was off the river,,, hmmm,,, i went into the Marengo swamp ride supporting a paramedic team via boat and what you describe sounds a lot like where we put in. same jumping carp too. that was first id actually seen one jump. very strange to lean side to side to avoid airborne fish as you zip down the river. hahahaha

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I went to Louisiana this week-end. My brother and I fished the Ouachita River at West Monroe. We put in at a place called Lazare Point. Found some good looking areas to fish but we did not get a bite. We had a couple of bumps but I am thing they were bream[blue gills] My brother bought a new pontoon boat and we ran the boat to see how it would do. He will become a member of the B.O.C. as soon as he can high speed hook-up at his home.