Otters?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by sedwick, Feb 14, 2008.

1. sedwick

sedwick New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Anybody seen many otters in northeast Arkansas? Me and a buddy was just haveing lunch at Jack creek near Village creek here and noticed two maybe three otters feeding. They must have weight 40 to 50 pounds each. They were diving down and catching fish, looked like carp. We did'nt seem to bother them any. I was just surprized, i was raised up around here and had never seen one.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've only seen otters one time in Arkansas. That was probably 20 years ago, near the boat ramp at Sweden Island Park on the Arkansas River.

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I'm about 20 miles north of Conway and we see the pretty regular around here. The Cadron creek and the branches running into it have a good number. They move around a lot and move from stock pond to pond, they will clean out a pond if you don't warch them. I've seen them catch 1 to 3 pound channel cats and eat a little of it and drop it and go catch another and do the same thing, over and over again. Not a good thing to have visit your ponds.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree.

Otters will ruin a pond. Almost overnight.

5. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I live about 50 miles south of Texarkana and I seen three on th BIg cypress river this year.Really neat to watch. I know it's not Ark. but close.

6. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I have seen them numerous times in Arkansas, especially around backwater sloughs and creeks as well as ponds. I use to trap and would catch one evey now and then. Still have my traps , but don't trap any anymore. Use to get a good price for the furs, and would trap them again if it was worth the trouble.

7. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I live in southeast missouri. I was going up the mississippi and noticed on the missouri side what looked like a big short snake going up, around and through the riprap bolders. I pulled up closer and saw the biggest otter I've ever seen. Looked like one of the ocean going otters. I didn't think they got that big around here.

8. tomnt369

tomnt369 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I live in the SW corner of Arkansas and have seen a few around here from time to time. Hit one in the pickup one nite. That thing was as long as the tailgate. Probably weighed 50 lbs or more.

9. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Years ago you could get about $30.00 or more per hide. Not sure what they run now! Someone that still traps would know.