Otter

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Had a neat experience last week. I went and did a little exploring for a new spot on the Delaware below Perry. I decided not to take the Kayak and just hoof it in. Well I found a pretty nice spot down around the first bend in the river and set up at the mouth of a small stream. I had been sitting there for about an hour when I saw something on the far bank downstream about 75 yards. It was an Otter, the first one I have ever seen in the wild. I spend a lot of time in the boonies and see critters that most people don’t even know are around but this was a first for me. He came down the bank and swam up along the far bank, when he was straight across from me I did a lip squeak and he popped straight up out of the water and looked at me. I bet half of his body was sticking out of the water. I was about to snap a picture at about 30 yards but he went under and was 50-60 yards upstream when I saw him the next time.
    I have been hearing more about Otters in Kansas and felt privileged to have a chance to watch one in the wild. How many others have had the chance to watch one of these unique critters in Kansas?

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I haven't been to Kansas, but this past thursday witnessed my first sighting, a mated pair swimming along the shore in Western Kentucky. :cool2:

3. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Unexpected moments like that make a hunting or fishing trip worthwhile even if you don't get anything. Congrats on your experience.
    I had a similar experience several years ago when I came across a Porcupine while deer hunting. Never seen one before or since. Something I'll always remember.

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I've been fortunate enough to have had this experience, on the Republican River, North of Wakefield. It's been a looooong time ago though(bout 25 yrs or better), have never seen one since. I was in my flatbottom down below Smith Bottoms tied up to the shore, I seen "an animal" running along a log on the far side of the river, I'd seen them on some TV show before, so I know what it was, definitely an Otter, really neat, wish I'v have had a camera.

5. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats on your luck. I grew up in Montana and seen a lot of beaver there. I've never seen an otter here just the rats.

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Been fortunate enough, have seen several, on The Osage in missouri and it starts in Kansas, so, their headed, your way.
    Very graceful, in water. and don't be fooled their not to be messed with. Very quick, very curious, and will usualy , check you out.Have harvested aroud 50+, through past years, largest 27 lb.
    fun to watch.
    Jim

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Good for you Alan I heard that fish and game were stocking them but haven't seen any here.Saw them in Florida.Had some come up behind me and steal my bait once.Love to watch them.

8. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Started seeing them in my area about 2 years ago. Last December my wife and I found a new place to bank fish and while I was setting my poles I spotted two just down the bank eating a fish. They went on their way and about an hour later I told my wife here they come back. Turned out to be a group of nine, ranging from little ones to full grown. They came within about 25 yards of us. The most I have ever seen.

9. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

seen tons of them around here, i really wish we could get a trapping season on them

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Tom are you seeing them on the river??I didn't know there was that many around here?They just started to enterduce them back in Kansas a few yr ago..

11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Sometimes you only get a glimse of them and they look a little like a muskrat.
    Muskrats tend to be almost shaggy but an otter is slick, quick and really
    energetic. From time to time you may see beavers as well. They are like
    really big muskrats and don't always build dams. It's good to hear other
    folks seeing otters too. We are springing back from a dark time in the wild
    around here. Songbirds, eagles, falcons are back. Cougars passing through.
    Otters are really fun to watch. They play with each other like our children.

12. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We have a few of them on the Whitewater and Walnut rivers in Butler County. But to see one is a rare treat. I have seen a porcupine on the Little Walnut. they are also pretty uncommon around here.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    A Calvin Sighting...............:crazy:

How you been, long time since you've posted. Glad to see you on.

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i see them all over the dam area of the river also up many of its creeks while out trapping i see them and there tracks i also have turned in some in recent times for my water trap lines.they are in abundace in this area along with surrounding towns i know creeks that i had to stop trapping because i was getting into way to many of them i dont like not being able to keep them so i let them be,even though the land owners still bug me to get the beaver out of it. they can be seen from lawrence all the way down stream in every mouth of every creek that connects to the river lots around

15. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

...lol thats even more rare than the otters,glad to see ya calvin miss your posts