Other species you caught while catting???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by CatBobJimFish, May 1, 2009.

1. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    In my opinion, one of the most interesting aspects of fishing is that even though you may go out of your way to target a particular species.... you just never really know what you're going to catch.... personally the only other species I've ever caught while catfishing, is Carp, but, I've heard and seen some pretty odd catches from other people while catfishing(or fishing for catfish bait:wink:)....what's the oddest thing you've ever caught???

I've noticed that Garrett has a pic of a big Mudpuppy Salamander that he managed to catch in his profile.... heheheh Looks like a catfish that up and sprouted legs Garrett!:smile2:

Rollo caught himself some nice size snapping turtles, of which he has pics in the thread down below(bet it was fun taking THEM off the hook, eh Rollo???:tounge_out:)

My cousin has caught a few Walleye while catfishing(he didn't know what they were, described them as elongated Bass with teeth!!! LOL!)

My cousin has also managed to catch a few Clams(mussels?) while fishing for bait(they actualy bit his hook, just like a fish would!)

A couple years ago a kid caught a Pacu(fruit eating member of the Pirahna family) while catfishing the Ohio river

I've heard stories of people catching Pirahna

I've heard tales of folks catching large eels.

I'm sure we've all probably heard the tale of a guy catching a Cottonmouth Water Moccasin, and once it gaped it's big white mouth at him he had to cut the line.

At one time it wasn't all that uncommon a sight to see(and maybe even catch) a Bullshark that managed to make his way up the Ohio River.

Post your oddest and most rediculous catch...we're all ears!:eek:oooh:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My buddy landed a rock one night while flathead fishing! He set the hook, and the hook snagged into a pore of the hand sized rock. I told him it would make a good paper weight on his desk at school, so it wasn't CPRed!:smile2: :wink: rollo

3. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Last year I caught a 16 inch large mouth bass on shrimp in a catfish tourney in Steubenville. Funniest story though even though it isn't about cattin, Is when I was 15 years old my mom and dad took us to the bahamas and we went deep sea fishing. There were only 5 people on the boat and 4 of us had caught dolphin fish which aren't dolphins, they are also called mahe mahe. My fish was 4 and a half feet hardest fight I ever had by far took about an hour to get em in. That all being said my brother was the only one who hadn't caught anything and he got what everyone thought was a huge fish. We were 30 miles out in the ocean off the coast so nobody expected his half hour fight would prove to be a lifejacket. He thought he had a huge fish and so did everyone else on the boat 20 years later he will still never live that one down.

4. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Kip (Smoothkip25) actually caught that mudpuppy. Between him and Matt (Sharpy22) i think they landed like 4 of 'em & I couldn't catch a cold that day. I've caught Big Bluegills,Drum(Sheepshead) & LM Bass on Chicken Liver. Carp on Shad. Turtles on nightcrawlers & Liver. A nice Saugeye on a Strike king nightcrawler link (anyone remember those? they looked like pieces of hot dog). The strangest bait i ever used was when fishing Darby Creek for Channels one time...they were hitting the liver so good that we ran out of it and used small pieces of paper towel wadded up and dipped in the Liver juice. We caught perhaps a dozen small channels and a handful of Bluegill on that! Weird.

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Kip caught a good sized Mussel in the Scioto about a month ago. I think on either Cut Bluegill or Shad?

6. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    A nice surprise was this 43 inch 30 lb Striped Bass that took a chuck of cut bait in between cat bites. Nice fight...returned to make more Stripers.

Attached Files:

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I am catting I usually end up with some carp or drum and every once in a while a bass or striper. I pulled a set of wheels from a cart or wagon out of the GMR a few weeks back.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I caught a large landing net drifting at Santee one year!

9. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ha, almost forgot about this one. My cousin and I were out fishing(same one who caught the big toothy bass and the clams, LOL!), and he'd been complaining about all the ducks and geese that wouldn't stay away from his line on previous fishing trips, joking around I said "wouldn't it be crazy if you caught one?"........ No sooner had I said it than a big Canadian goose comes swooping in right past our faces and into his line, his rod shot up about 5 feet in the air and traveled about 10 feet that way before the goose realised something was wrong and had to land.......

We noticed that we hooked him right in the wing, we both tried to approach the goose in hopes of getting that hook out of his wing, but he wasn't having any of it, he'd hiss and snap, and beat his wings whenever we got close, so we ended up just cutting the line as short as he would let us get close.

So if you happen to see a Canadian goose with a hook in his wing while fishin' this year, be sure to say hi for us, LOL!

10. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    I was fishing with a buddy when he snagged a softshell turtle by the back leg:roll_eyes:

11. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a crawdad hold onto my cut warmouth and reeled him all the way up the pier on Lake Erie. Caught a coleman lantern the same night.

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    ive caught a coleman lantern too, lol :smile2:. Ive also caught a couple of fishing poles.

13. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have caught Bass using cut shad fishing on the bottom several times. I have also caught an Amur on chicken liver. Turtles I tend not to discuss because that is like comtting a sin against the catfish gods.

14. all_4_Flatcats

all_4_Flatcats New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I caught a 25lb carp that had been hooked already and got a free pole from it about 3yrs ago up in Hamilton, Ohio fishing under the New London Rd. Bridge.LOL! That's why I don't tie my line to my reel......

I use black tape instead....

15. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    While fishing the Roanoke River in NC, quite a few miles from salt water, caught a pretty nice flounder on cut herring.

16. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    ive seen a few strange things caught while cattin, my budddy matt (sharpie22) went to reel in one night and felt weight there and set the hook, about 15 minutes later reeled in a nice 15 inch tire full uf mud with the hook imbedded into it lol, he thought he had a hog on there, i also caught a very nice smallmouth bass on a live 3-4 inch warmouth, was shore fishing and the baitrunner went nuts, i locked her down and drilled to set the hook and pulled the smallie clear outa the spillway, i thought it was dead lol, it finally recovered and swam off, i think that hook set musta been like a knockout punch i still dont know how it ate that fish his mouth wasnt that big :eek:oooh:

17. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i caught a couple of gar last year one on a 8"chub he had all of it ate except the head line was wrapped around his head 3-4 times and hooked in the side of his head the othe one just had the line thru its mouth and the hook hanging out the other side and got a 12" crappie on a 4"goldfish and a abu 5000C on a ugly stick rod had a crank bait on it with a channel about 12"long at stockport dam

18. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    iva caught tons of sheepshead, white bass while cattin. dang snails always close up on my hook so that if i did have a bite i couldnt set the hook. weirdest of all... perch. 2 perch only barely as long as my 5/0 gama hook. got em at guilford lake here in ohio on nightcrawler. i hooked em both through the back and tossed em back in:cool2:

19. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i saw a guy fishing next to me on lake erie catch a gar while cattin. the gar got the line tangled up in its mouth. the hook was a good ten feet from where he was tangled at. it was the weirdest thing. the guy was chinese (i think) he had no idea what kind of fish it was. he took it home, not sure why, probably turned him into sushi.

20. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I once caught two Channel Cats on one hook at Antrim Lake.Kind of anyway:wink:. I Got a bite and started reeling in. When i lifted the cat out of the water (he was only about a 1 pounder) I then realized i had a about a 3 lber as well. I'd snagged about 25 feet of tangled line when i reeled in with some weeds and a small tree branch and a catfish still on the hook at the end of it. I guess someone had recently hooked the fish and it ran into the snag and they cut the line.