Other Rivers in Arkansas?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Arkie55, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Guys,
    I know our state is blessed with may rivers and lakes. I also know we fish a lot of different waters in this state. Why don't we seen more reports from rivers other than the Mississippi or Arknasas? I know the lower White is a great spot. I fish the Black and lower St. Francis and post reports on trips. We really need to get this Arknasas section in full gear!!!! Please post your trips and results no matter where you fish in this state. I know some of you gusy do some drift fishing on some of our lakes and rivers. That's on tactic that I know nothing about and would love to learn. I suspect some of you drift bait below a float in some of our smaller rivers. That's another method I am slack in. We have a lot of small to mid-sized rivers and I know they get fished. POST, POST, POST, AND POST!!!!!! I want to hear about your successes or even the "old skunk". Ususally, when one spot is hot, other spots are hot as well. Am I begging? I guess I am. We have some great fishing and very good fisherman in this state and on this board. Please share your experience.:)

2. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    live in okie land now , but i still fish ark. rivers . the upper white. LAKE SEQUYOAH . down to beaver lake . has some great , flathead, blues, spoonbils, whites, hybreds, striper , crappie. fishing . as soon as the white run is over there will be some huge cats taken by some of the locals arround goshen ark. largest i have seen there was 87# IN 2002. JUNE also have seen some 50-60 lb spoonies during the white run. they are cought quite often by folks jigin for whites. have a day

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I've fished the White River several times around Augusta, Georgetown and Des Arc but we were mostly crappie fishing. We did try the cats a time or two but all we caught were small ones. Drifting didn't work like it does on the Arkansas, we stayed hung up. I guess we have actually caught more catfish while we were crappie fishing than when we were fishing for cats. If you can find a tree top and ease a minnow down in it you'll lay into something, crappie, bass, catfish, or drum. I like to use a tube jig and minnow but it's different on the river because the current is generally strong. You have to put on enough weight to control the jig or you won't do nothing but hang up.

ST

4. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've fished the White in various spots from I40 to the Mississippi. (I know this is a lot of river, and I've really only scratched the surface) Anyways, Ive done a lot better the further south I've went. I really like it below St. Charles within the White River NWR. There are some extremely remote areas there on the river as well as oxbow lakes and slews everywhere that hardly ever get fished. This area is full of all varieties of fish esp. catfish. Also, I fished where the white hits the Mississippi once last year and it was incredible. Pretty hard to get to on the Ark. side though. We had to put in at Lock and Dam #1 which is 10 miles from the mouth of the white. It was well worth it though. Cant wait to go back. Wish i had a bigger boat though. That Miss. is pretty intimidating in a 16' aluminum boat. Another spot I really like is the Fourche Lafave river from Perryville to the Ark. river. (I live in Benton and this is much closer to home) I did pretty good on limblines out there last weekend. I posted about it on another thread.

One tactic me and a buddy started using one time that I hardly ever hear about in reference to cats is slip bobber fishing. We tried it below Lock and Dam #6 (Terry) when the flow was completely shut down. We were right at the sign 100 yards below the dam casting to the dam and nothing was biting on the bottom. I rigged up a big slip bobber and started fishing 15-20' deep with shad gut. We started tearing them up. No other boats were catching fish, but we ended up with about 20 nice blues. Turns out they must have been suspended. I have come up with a beleif that in no current situations on the Ark. river, a lot of those blues will suspend, esp at night. Anyways, I have used this technique many times since and it has worked pretty good. Especially around the dams when the flow is off or in a river that is so full of snags it is hard to fish the bottom.

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Terry is correct! We need to post more about Arkansas fishing. I post each time I go out fishing, giving all you Arkies a fishing report. Return the favor!!:confused: :confused:

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I live up in the norhteast section of the state. I am only about 35 miles from Jackson Port. That is where the Black River runs into the White River. I live about 7 miles from the Black River and about 35 miles (by road) from Jackson Port. I have wanted to fish the lower White for sometime now but the fishing on the lower Black gets most of my attention. Like you, I only have a 16' boat and the lower White and Mississippi is an intimidating prospect for me at this time. I really need to get geared up for tent camping and start expanding my fishing waters to inclued some of the other great catfishing rivers we have in our state.

You float (slip float) fishing really has my interest. That is a technique I really need to devote some time to. Are you using a spinning or bait casting rig with this method? I know without a doubt that Blues suspend a lot of the time. Our bank lines have proven it over and over. I know I'm missing some great days on the river by not haveing that method in my arsonal. Another method I need to learn is drift fishing.

Needless to say, you have really gotten my attention with the post about the lower White river. Sounds like under utilized opportunity to me.:p

7. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    good man another wepon in your bag of tricks. i love to slip cork fish . i always have 2 slip rigs in my boat, always have 2 bottem of drifting rigs in my boat as well as a med bass, and a ultra lite. just standard for the boat thay go when i go. also years ago . i started tent camping , i have a traylor, dont use it much any more . i just enjoy being able to set up any where. some times i have family drop me off and pick me up three or 4 days later . depends on haw avalible ice is ,cell phones are a great thing but u can get way back in some of thise inexcessable places an see no one all week. just have to have lots of ice. or cpr all fish. have a day

8. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    We fished the white a few times last week and just came off the river this morning. Last week we were catching plenty of white bass, largemouths and just a skip here and there. Today we ended up with 7 skippies.

The white and the black is just about the same river if were talking about current. The fishing has suffered the last few years around augusta. There is nets about every 200 yds or so. Now on down south the fishing sure nough picks up. Anywhere from devalls bluff to clarendon we have always had good luck. I'm still hung up on one river right now though.... The mighty mississippi!

9. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I've been wanting to check out the mouth of the White also. I want to try for skippies around the lock and then do some fishing in the area. I can't go this weekend but maybe next. If anyone wants to hook up and head that way, give me a shout!

10. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The slip bobber method is pretty simple. The only drawback ive found is that it is hard to use in heavy current. But then again, in heavy current ive found fish on the bottom anyways. For the slip bobber, first put a slip bobber string knot on your line about the depth you are wanting to fish. This is just a little piece of string you tie on which is what keeps the bobber from sliding up the line. Then put on a plastic bead. This is important because it will go to the knot of string and stop when many times the bobber itself wouldn't. Then slide on the slip bobber. Now all you need is a hook and sinker at the end of your line and you are ready to go. I always use the large slip bobbers (not the ones used for crappie fishing). They will hold up larger baits and more weight. There are also many varieties you can attach glo sticks to for night fishing. This is a great help. ALso, ive use it on both spinners and bait casters. It works on both.
    As far as the lower white and miss., I was alright in my boat, it was just those barges on the miss. throw off huge wake that I had to avoid all the ttime. The miss. river gets real narrow where the white comes into it and when a barge came I had no choice but to seek shelter in the white or a cove. However, just below the mouth of the White, about a half mile, the old white river channel cuts off the miss. to the west and forms an island. Since barge traffic was heavy, we ended up fishing this more than we did the miss. We caught plenty below 10 pounds but no monsters. It was still a great trip.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Dan, what kind of water depth is there on the lower Fouche? And does it pretty well stay that depth, or do you run into quite a few shallow spots?

12. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The parts of the Fourche that I'm familiar with are generally 10-30' deep right now. The only 2 places Ive put in on it are in Perryville, which I beleive is about 30 river miles from the Ark., and Ive put in at Bigelow and fished the mouth. What Ive found is that it is generally (when it is down like right now) 7-15' in the straight stretches and 15' to 30' in the sharp bends. Me and some friends fished it saturday night and tore them up on trotlines baited with fresh skipjack we caught up at Murray Hydro.

I have a question about skipjack. I just started catching my own and I wonder if there are certain times of the year they can be caught easier around the locks and dams. We caught about 25 in 2 hours which was plenty of bait, I'm just wondering if I should really be trying to stock up on them now or if they will be around those dams all spring/summer.

13. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The parts of the Fourche that I'm familiar with are generally 10-30' deep right now. The only 2 places Ive put in on it are in Perryville, which I beleive is about 30 river miles from the Ark., and Ive put in at Bigelow and fished the mouth. What Ive found is that it is generally (when it is down like right now) 7-15' in the straight stretches and 15' to 30' in the sharp bends. Me and some friends fished it saturday night and tore them up on trotlines baited with fresh skipjack we caught up at Murray Hydro.

I have a question about skipjack. I just started catching my own and I wonder if there are certain times of the year they can be caught easier around the locks and dams. We caught about 25 in 2 hours which was plenty of bait, I'm just wondering if I should really be trying to stock up on them now or if they will be around those dams all spring/summer.

14. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Dan,
    Catch them when you can!!! You should be able to catch them most of the summer around the dams and fast water. I usually catch as many as I can each "bait catching" trip. I freez mine whole by putting 5 or 6 in a 1 gallon zip lock bag. Fresh is best but fresh frozen is close.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fresh is best, but you can't count on catching them. Spring definitely seems best to me; fishing for them seems to really slow down in the summer, then pick up a little in the fall. We used to tear them up in the warm water discharge canal at the nuclear plant, but that's definitely off limits now. Sometimes you'll catch a few further out in the cove, but it's really a sometimes thing. I've got a 7 cubic foot chest freezer just to keep my skippies in; stock up when you can, because too often it's feast or famine with those skipjack. I try to freeze them in different size batches so if I go out rod & reel fishing for an evening, I can just unfreeze one or two smaller skipjack; or, if several of us are going jugfishing, I can unfreeze one or two large packages. They can be refrozen, but after thawing them about 3 times, they've deteriorated to the point I discard them or use them for chum.

16. LJSCatfishLady

LJSCatfishLady New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I fish the White River above St. Charles. Mostly now rod/reel fishing. So far this year the fish aren't biting all the good. Went out yesterday, couldn't even catch enough for a sandwich. The river has been kind of crazy this year, up/down Right now stable. Not sure why the fish aren't biting good I'm use to going out catching my 10 limit and sitting down to a plate of fish/fried tators Yum Yum

17. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :) been keeping a watch on the Petit Jean river...I live about 15 minutes away.......the water temp yesterday was 69-70..no blues running yet....We need a big rain to make it run..then it should be good fishing...I have been catching my limit plus on ther Ar. river..fishing shelfs and jetty points..most of the fish are 3-7lbs....with an ocassional 10-20lber..

18. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    We got some real heavy rain Monday evening around 6:00 pm. I don't know how much it rained but I couldn't see across the road it was so heave. The Strawberry rive had a nice rise from that rain. I haven't checked the level on the Black but I'm sure it also got a nice surge. We got a little more rain last night. Should help get the cats kick started on my local waters. I hope to hit the Black Saturday morning.

19. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I posted here what Tim Griffis caught on the Arkansas River @ WDM last weekend. He said they caught as many goos as cats. He also said that when the water flow stopped, so did the fish.

Tim said that shad were plentiful and that skippies were being caught from the bank by the bouys.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can't begin to say how many old river rats and commercial fishermen have told me, "When there ain't no current on the Arkansas, you might as well stay home." Now, it's not quite that bad, I have occasionally managed to find a few fish without current, but it's really tough. Another thing most of them said was, "If you don't have fresh shad, don't bother getting out on the water."