Other Flathead Catfish Baits?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jdw123, Aug 8, 2009.

1. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    me and buddy are running trotlines in a creek that has some big flatheads in it. the problem is since it is a small and concentrated area all the live bait and cut bait we put on the lines the turtles and gar get it. has anybody caught flatheads on stinkbait, beef hearts, etc...? we want to use something that the turtles and gar dont like.

2. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    In my opinion, For flatheads nothing works anywhere close to as good as live bait.

I've caught a few on dead bait but not a bunch, and usually in rivers where the current moves the bait around.

Maybe up the size of your baitfish. that is my defense againt gar and turtles I use bait big enough to fight em off.

Bullheads are hard to come by in some areas, but if you can get them the skin is so tuff almost nothing can pull em off.

And bait your lines right as darkness falls. Gar and turtles are mostly day feeders while cats mostly night!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009

3. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
  4. catma

catma New Member

State:
    iowa
    well that explains it really well but another thing i can tell u is check ur lines about every 2 hours untill midnight or so that way if theres bait missin u can get more on u cant catch em on a bear hook o and what ever turtles u catch get them out of that area ull have better sucsses that way hope this helps good luck

5. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    something i would try is maybe chumming the area a bit. its possible that would get the cats movin after bait quicker and maybe they will get it b4 the others. snappn turtle is also good to eat. catch and clean them to.

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Im with Isaiah eat the turtles.:big_smile:

7. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    best bet, live bullhead. good luck! you can make very good homemade traps for bullhead, check the member library.

8. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I would try small carp say around 1/2lb to a 1lb this should do the trick. :wink:

9. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    if i catch bullheads should i leave the pectoral and back fins on or clip them?

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if the fins bothered them they wouldnt be good bait. if it gives you more confidence clip them short.