Other Fish

Discussion in 'BOC Member Cookbook' started by Whistler, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Jerry Trew(Jtrew)

boneless fillets cut into finger-sized pieces
    your favorite brand of crab boil
    ice water for cooling the fish pieces
    ice to serve the fish pieces on
    your favorite bought or homemade cocktail sauce

1. Prepare the crab boil according to the instructions on the package.

2. Dump the fish pieces into the boiling crab-boil water, bring back to a boil as quickly as possible, and boil for one minute.

3. Immediately remove the fish from the hot water and put into the ice water to stop the cooking process.

4. Serve the fish pieces as you would shrimp -- on ice with your favorite cocktail sauce. You can use your fingers, toothpicks, forks, etc.

2. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Phillip Gaines(Delta_Lover)

Striped Bass with Lime, Corn and Red Pepper Relish

Ingredients

2 ears corn, shucked
    1/4 cup lime juice
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup chopped, roasted red pepper
    1/4 cup chopped scallions
    1 teaspoon chopped, fresh cilantro
    - - salt to taste
    - - freshly ground black pepper
    8 - striped bass fillets, 4 to 6 ounces each
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation - Estimated cooking time: 45 minutes -
    1 For the Lime, Corn and Red Pepper Relish:
    2 Preheat the grill or oven to 450°F.
    3 Roast the corn on the grill or in the oven until it begins to turn golden, about 10 minutes.
    4 Meanwhile, mix the lime juice, olive oil, red pepper, scallions and cilantro together in a bowl.
    5 When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cob and add them to the bowl.
    6 Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
    7 For the Striped Bass:
    8 Preheat the oven to 350°F.
    9 Drizzle the bass fillets with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper.
    10 Arrange the fillets in a baking dish in a single layer. Place the baking dish in the oven and roast the fish until it is just cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. (Thinner fillets will take a little less time and thicker ones will take a little more.)
    11 Serve the bass topped with the relish.

3. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by David Carroll(Catdaddy_64)

Here is a recipe for Randall "Goo" Duhan

Goo Etoufee

a fish stew made with the goo fish......The goo fish is the nickname for a freshwater drum; known as a gaspergou or sheepshead? In S LA, most people use the term "sheepshead" to describe a saltwater drum with big teeth and striped sides. The freshwater drum fish is a gaspergou. Farther up the Mississippi, the two names are interchangable, but they're usually referring to two distinct fishes. And you definitely don't catch them in the same places (fresh vs salt/brackish water). I think the saltwater version is the superior fish, tastewise. They're all related to buffalofish, carp, and croaker, too. All make peculiar thrumming/drumming/thumping noises, hence the name drum.

Makes: 4 servings
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 1 hour, 0 minutes
    Ready In: 1 hour, 20 minutes

Ingredients
    6 pounds goo fish cut in large pieces 1/4 cup water
    1 tsp each salt*, black pepper*, cayenne pepper* 3 tsp vegetable oil (I like LouAnna oil)
    2 pods garlic minced 1 bunch parsley chopped
    1 large bell pepper chopped 2 tbsp flour
    3 stalks celery chopped 2 lemon slices
    1 large bunch green onions chopped 1 1/2 cans tomato sauce
    **Demi Note** You can use Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning in place of the salt, black pepper and cayenne

Directions
    Select a large heavy pot with handles that you can handle well enough to shake, as you never stir the fish while it is cooking.

Rub the pieces of fish with a mixture of salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Put oil in the unheated pot. Arrange half of the fish on the bottom.
    Mix the chopped vegetables and sprinkle half over fish. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour over the vegetables and half of the tomato sauce and then repeat layers. Add the lemon and 1/4 cup water.

Place pot over low flame (heat) and cook slowly for one hour or until fish is tender.
    Shake pot often to keep from sticking. Never stir as this
    will break up the fish.
    When tender, taste for seasoning and add more if necessary.
    Recommended Sides you'd eat it over rice & I'd add cole slaw or green salad with it. Oh & Garlic bread to sop up the gravy that the rice doesn't get .......................It does not get much better

4. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Jim Longcreek(Chuckwagon)

This is a delicious way to prepare Bream, Perch, Sunfish or any left-over baitfish you have from a long night of set-hooking!

6 small pan-dressed fish
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    dash milk
    1 egg beaten
    1 cup cornmeal
    peanut oil

Salt and pepper the fish. Combine milk and beaten egg. Dip fish in mixture, then in cornmeal. Fry in hot peanut oil until brown, turn and fry other side. Serve immediately with American fries, tomato slices and hot buttered corn on the cob. Have coffee to drink and blackberry cobbler for dessert. A guaranteed dinner or lunch pleaser! Keep fishing!

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    place trout fillets on a buttered cookie sheet,skin side down. srinkle on seasonings.

garlic powder
    onion powder
    salt
    pepper
    spinkle of lemon juice
    dill--(lightly dill is very strong!)
    brown sugar
    dabs of butter on top

place in pre heated oven 325* for 20 min. or just till fish flakes.
    also works great on grill too with foil!

6. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Paddlefish Caviar Recipe

1. By using a colander or screen, separate the paddlefish eggs from the membranes, keeping the eggs on ice.
    2. Prepare a brine solution (1 1/8 cups of pickling salt to one quart of cold water) and soak eggs for half a day. The solution must be kept cold while the eggs are soaking.
    3.Drain over a colander, put the eggs in small jars and refrigerate immediately.

Enjoy a bit of the caviar spread on your favorite kind of cracker. Remember that the same thing from a specialty shop or the gourmet section of your supermarket would cost between $30-$90 per 4 ounces for good "top shelf' sturgeon caviar.

(I have not tried this yet but hope to this season, please post if you have or your results if you try it)

7. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

2 lb paddlefish steaks or fillets
    1 x garlic clove cut
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
    4 tbl butter or margarine
    4 slc raw bacon
    1 can tomatoes - (15 oz)
    1 med onion chopped
    1 x green pepper chopped
    1 x bay leaf crumbled
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Method :
    Rub fish with cut garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a buttered casserole dish, and lay bacon strips across top.
    Mix remaining ingredients, and pour over and around fish. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork.

(I have not tried this one yet either, but it seems pretty solid and will be my first recipe for fillets this year)

8. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

What you need:

2 pounds of paddlefish or other fish - cut into strips

1 bottle of beer - add more if you prefer a thinner batter

1 egg - beaten

2 teaspoons salt - add more if you so desire

1 teaspoon sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

1/4 teaspoon red pepper

2 cups flour

What you do:

Pour some canola oil or the oil of your choice into a deep fry pan or fryer. When you are ready to cook, heat the oil to around 375 degrees.

Blend the salt, pepper, baking powder, flour and sugar together well. Add the beer and egg and blend together until the batter has a smooth texture.

Now dip each piece of fish into the batter, coating it well, and cook. When golden in color remove the fish and place it on paper towels to drain any excess oil.

9. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

1 pound cubed paddlefish

1 cup parmesan cheese

2 cloves minced garlic

1/4 cup olive oil

1 tablespoon dried sweet basil

2 cups milk

1/4 pound butter or margarine

1 12-oz. package fettuccini pasta

What you do:

Place the olive oil, garlic and butter in a medium-sized pan. Heat the mixture on medium until the garlic turns golden brown and then add all the rest of the ingredients except for the fish and pasta.

Stir until the mixture begins to simmer and bubble. Your sauce should begin to get thick.

Now add the fish and cook until it is done. The fish will begin to flake when it is cooked.

In the meantime, prepare the pasta, drain and place it on a large serving platter. Pour or ladle the white sauce and fish over the pasta.

(this is another Internet find that I have not tried yet, but seems to be pretty solid via the method and ingredients)

10. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Caviar

1 cup (1/4 liter) fresh fish roe, preferably salmon
    2 cups (1/2 liter) cold water
    1/2 cup (125 ml) coarse salt

Spread a piece of coarse-mesh wire netting over a bowl. Break up
    the roe and rub the pieces over the mesh so that the eggs, loosened
    from the membrane, drop into the bowl.

Make a brine of the water and salt. Stir until the salt has
    dissolved, then add the eggs and stir gently. Let the eggs stand
    in the brine for 15 to 20 minutes.

Pour the eggs into a fine-meshed sieve and let them drain over a
    bowl in the refrigerator for an hour.

Pack the caviar into a jar, cover closely, and refrigerate for 12
    hours before serving. If it seems too salty, rinse briefly with
    ice-cold water and drain. Tightly covered, the caviar will keep
    in the refrigerator for about a month.

11. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    one of the best and easyst recipes.
    what you will need
    bluegill(shellcracker)cleaned, fillet if big enough
    cornmeal
    cooking oil
    frydaddy deep fryer

what to do
    pore cooking oil in frydaddy
    wet shellcrackers with water
    roll in corn meal
    put shellcrackers in frydaddy
    wait till they float to top and are brown on each sides.

quick,easy,and tastes great

12. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Find this is a crowd pleaser when we have a fish fry.

Fish Fillets (Your Choice)

Onion

Batter Mix

Wooden Skewers
    - 6" to 12"

Deep Fryer w/4" of oil - 350 degrees

Cut fillets into strips approx 2" X 1". Cut whole onion into sections, depending on size. Place a section of onion on skewer, then 2 pieces of fish, and then another section of onion.
    Cover with batter and deep fry until golden brown and serve. Can be eaten like a corn dog. Kids of all ages love them (5-92). Only been tested on that age group.

Enjoy

13. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Bluegill or Crappie Fillets
    1/2 Stick of Butter
    Minced Garlic

Heat skillet and add butter (Med Heat). When butter has melted and a couple (or more) tablespoons of minced garlic and let it brown a little. Add fillets (Small) and brown. Serve with Hot Beans & Rice

Shrimp instead of fish works great

14. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    While the bluegill were on their beds here a couple weeks ago, I caught a good amount of them and would like to do something with them besides frying them, since that is the way I usually prepare my catfish. I am looking for some tried and true bluegill recipes that are a little bit different. I will share the recipe for the best darn soup I've ever had, which used some of my bluegill fillets by the way. Please add your suggestions and recipes for what to do with the rest of my fillets.

Panfish Chowder

6 slices bacon, cut up
    3 medium red potatoes (about 1 lb)
    2/3 cup chopped red onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2 cups fish stock*
    1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
    1 Tblsp fresh lemon or lime juice
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dried dillweed
    1/8 tsp fennel seed
    1/8 tsp garlic salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1 cup half-and-half
    1 1/2 cups cut up cooked panfish
    (about 1 1/2-inch pieces)

* or substitute 2 cups water and 2 tsp
    instant chicken bouillon; omit the
    1 tsp salt

In a 3 quart saucepan, cook bacon over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon; set aside. Peel potatoes and cut into 3/4" cubes; set aside. Cook and stir onion and celery in bacon fat over medium high heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add bacon, potato cubes, fish stock, mushrooms, carrot, parsley, lemon juice, salt, dillweed, fennel seed, garlic salt, and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Blend in half-and-half. Gently stir in fish pieces. Skim fat, if desired.

4 to 6 servings

Thanks and happy fishing,
    Doug

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Here is that recipe I mentioned: mix one part mash taterswith three parts ground fish. One teaspoon of lemon juice, a pinch of cayenne, salt and pepper to taste( my aunt says a pinch but we all have different tastes), a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce, Three table spoons of minced scallions or onions. If the mix seems to thick add a little cream or milk. Lightly dust with flour and saute in butter in light heat. Now for the kicker the sauce: 1 cup mayonnaise, two tablespoons of chopped pickles, one tablespoon of capers chopped, one tablespoon of dijon mustard, one TEAspoon parsley chopped,one TEAspoon fresh tarragon chopped or half a spoon dry, one teaspoon lemon juice, Add salt pepper or cayenne to taste. Hope some of ya try it cause it sure made me hungry ritin it down. And remember this is the recipe that I use for carp bowfin and the occasional suckers It really is that good

16. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    you get a brown paper bag throw in some bread crumbs,(any kind u want) then add some red pepper flakes, pepper, salt (i use sea salt), flour about 2-3 cups, some basil, and some curry powder......

wisk about 6 eggs together for your egg wash, (you can mix beer and flour for beer batter).

dip your fish in the egg wash,, toss it in the bag and fry it up.... tastes ooohhh so good

17. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A buddy dropped some of this off the other day...figured I'd share.

Smoke (or grill) a salmon steak then peel the skin off and use a fork to flake and mash it up. Then mix 1:1 the Salmon with cream cheese. Then as you are mixing it together as some chives, a slight bit of garlic, and crushed black pepper to taste. Then finish it off with as much worcestershire as you'd like. If you feel like it add some other spices, I like putting in some very very small pieces of diced onions. Great on crackers of any kind, but OUTSTANDING on triscuits and thelike.

18. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey, I've been hoarding a massive amount of Bowfin in my freezer out back for a while now, and I just cooked my biggest fillets up last night. All I did was take a cast iron skillet, fill it about 2" deep with oil, salt and pepper the fillets, sprinkle a good bit of powder cornmeal on top. I dropped them in there and they came out as the whitest meat I've ever cooked. I knew the oil was hot enough to cook when the mosquitoes flying into it began to sizzle when the hit! They fillets were about 4 lbs a piece and took 7 minutes both sides, not too long. The skin was left on and made for a nice textured feel. Cotton-Fish? Ha, what fool cooked their Fin wrong enough for it to taste like cotton? Definitely an excellent taste. Thought this might be helpful to post somewhere, seeing as it's so simple

19. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    4 nice fillets, Sprinkle with garlic powder, Seasoned Salt, Oregeno, Basil, Crushed Red Peppers, Cayenne, Lemon Pepper, and Fresh Ground Pepper. Then give a few shots of Tabasco Cholula is even better!
    Heat a cast iron skillet and add 3 Tablespoons of Butter. Make sure the skillet is hot. Lay in the Fillets and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Be sure to lay the fillets with the seasoned side down. Then repeat the seasoning while the other side is cooking. Put a lid on it to help trap the steam and make the cooking process quicker. Garnish with Parsley and Lemon Slices. Enjoy!

20. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    For this recipie you can use whatever type of fish you like.

I prefer crappie or white bass fillets myself.

What you need:

A mess of fillets
    2 tomatos - sliced
    bacon
    onions - sliced
    swiss cheese slices *(yes, the kraft processed ones)*

In a large caserole, layer fillets, then onions, then maters, then bacon, repeat

after 2-3 layerings, cover the top with cheese. Wrap foil around the top of the caserole as tight as you can get it. Poke a tiny hole in the center of the foil and place a small flat stone, on it. Place it in the oven for about 30-45 mins at 350 degrees. remove the foil and finish baking to brown the top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.