Other bases available for Driftmasters?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by JPritch, Oct 29, 2009.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Has anybody used another brand of base for their Driftmaster Pro's? I have right and left threaded holders I want to install, but don't care too much for the line of bases available. Monster has some sweet ones, but I don't see any left threads. Just wondering if I'm limited to driftmaster bases only.

Thanks!

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    For left threads you're probably limited to Driftmasters. I've never seen anything else for left threads. For the rest, anything with a standard 1/2" thread will work. I prefer to make my own. All you need to make your own is some metal, a drill, and a tap. You can get regular taps at the hardware store for a few dollars. The left hand taps you'll probably have to special order or get online, and I'm sure you'll have to pay more for it. I also like to tap the bases for 1/4" for the mounting bolts.

3. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Tom pretty much said it all. I would just like to add that I got a piece of aluminum cast stock. Got a half inch tap for like $6.00. This way you can make evryone different if you want to fit your needs. The cast aluminum is much easier to work with than steel, and it is suprisingly strong with the right thickness.I stick to 1/2 or 3/4 inch. Don't forget you won't have to worry about rust or painting.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
  5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Winston, that idear kicks arse.