Otay 7th and 8th

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by bluehunter, Jan 31, 2009.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Hey fellas I am planning a catfish trip next weekend and was wondering if anybody else wants to show up. The last few weekends been big fish including ronsons 82 and a 75 today as well. I will be out there and if anyone want to show up give me a holla and come on by. rains suppose to be in forecast and that is exactly when I love to roll. Wish us luck and again I invite anyone out that wants to chase the trophies. Its state record time.:smile2:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    What time? LOL! It may take me a bit to get there. Tear em up brother! :wink:

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Brian go out there and tear them up:smile2: Wish i lived closer to you would like to fish with you and hook into a big one .Fish On

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Big George whenever my man. I still may holla at you about a Joisy cat trip I may visit Newark, NJ and New York to see family this summer and likely will want a day on the water while I'am up there.

I might even save some ends for a Potamac guide trip too well see.

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The door is always open my man just let me know if you plan to make it down. If you plan to hit some of the future gatherings and events look me up.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You name it. And I know Phil will be with us. :wink:

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Most definitely will keep you in mind. A few years ago when I crossed the Potamac and James off hwy 95 I was wishing I was a fishing coming back from Baltimore to Atlanta. LOL

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good luck out there Blue:wink: If we lived closer, it would be on:wink:

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Robb well fish together soon. I am also looking into heading up your way a few times.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Anytime Brian:wink: you need a place to crash while passing through, my home is open or we can wet a line:wink:

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I fished OTAY a lot 23 years ago when I was stationed in the Navy. Weren't any blues in there then, just channel cats.

Does it still cost an arm and two legs for a daily permit in the San Diego City Lakes?

That used to torque me off having to pay so much each day ON TOP of the state license. Then you had to battle humongous crowds in the morning waiting for them to open the gates to run and buy your daily permit. Closed at dark too on top of it all. I might be suffering from a bad memory but I seem to remember a one-day permit way back then was $20.00, is it still that much?

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The fee was 5 dollars a day per person. 2.50 for child. 5 dollars for launch.

The fee was suppose to increase this month to 7 dollars per adult.

The fee is not so bad but if you are used to fishing waters for free I guess it can be a nuisance. Here in California the bulk of lakes charges some sort of fee be it daily permit, launching, or vehicle fee. Plus they close at sunset. Its just the fact of life around here. The only place where fishing is basically even close to being like the waters your way is Colorado River. But we way than more pay our expense coming from the coastal areas of Cali driving to the Az border which is 4-5 hrs depending on where you are coming from and traffic. The only people wo really benefit from those waters is the locals.

The State license is the big problem. They increase every year and you have to have certain stamps to fish certain aeas and zones. That another fee on top of the license which can go to a little above 70 dollars

13. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Good luck on the fishing trip Blue. When I go down to Anaheim to visit my family I will have to look you up. I don't know how far from there you are, but I'm sure if I'm down that far what's an hour or two more? I think I would like to wait for the spring bite, but I definitely would like to make it down for a fishing trip on Otay with ya. In the meantime go ahead and keep em fat for me.

Sean!

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Anaheims not far from me. Eventhough I live in L.A. I keep my boat in Chino and sometimes Fontana at family house. Anaheims off the 91fwy and I can pass that way going to either or. Keep me in mind. By the time spring comes around those flatheads will be active too and I wil be slaying those as well.

B

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Possible on the 8th, but probably not. I think Otay is C&R, but I will probably be at Dixon or Corona. Maybe just to the harbor on the 8th, probably no fishing for me on the 7th.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    You are right. There are two lakes. Otay and Lower Otay. I will be fishing Lower Otay. Lower Otay is not C&R. I always just say Otay though instead of Lower Otay. Its easier to say.:smile2: Otay is smaller and C&R only.

Corona is Ok but not my cup of tea for catfish. I loose way to many rigs there and the catfish are not all that big. I like the potential to get something in the 100's. Plus I loose too many riggs there. Its been 5 years almost since I fished there. The only local pay lakes I rather fish is Irvine its a much bigger lake and better fishery. Plus its not so crowded for the size of the lake. The Elliots do not have the hold on the lunker trout like they use too and Irvine is doing far better this year in the trout category than they are. Mt Lassen trout fishery expanded to San Diego and the high desert now making more money for themselves instead of holding exclusive contracts with Sarl and Corona. Hence is why there are big trout poping up and many other places now. DVL even is putting out some DD trout.

I have not fished Dixon yet, but heard its a cool lake though..

17. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Sounds good Blue. I don't really care where. I have never caught a flat or blue. I will definitely look you up when I go down there. That flattie slaying sounds like the business. Maybe when I go I'll just take the AmTrak down and have one of my cousins take me to meet up with you somewhere. If you give me a date in advance I can make arrangements at work. I have every other Monday off so I get two 3-day weekends a month. All the more reason to hurry up and get that Colorado River stamp.

Sean!

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Ok. April 25th on that Saturday I plan to go to river. Will make another run 1st weekend of May and than relax for the clear lake derby mid May. Also plan to do the BOC gathering plus another gathering two weeks after.

During My spring break which is 2nd week in April (6-10) I plan to do a 3 day scouting there. Primarily canal bank fishing. So whichever is best for you let me know. Eventhough its early I might even make a late March run there but have to hear from sources how the bite is at that time.

19. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I can do any of those dates. Let me know what date you think would be best for you and for fishing. I'm ready for April 6th date, but if you think it would be better to wait until the 25th or early May I'll wait it out. I like the idea of the scouting trip since I don't have a boat and when I come down for the gathering it would prepare me for bank fishing there. I would like to get the experience in and learn a little about flattin from you before the gathering as well. I would also like to be able to teach my son as he gets older. As soon as you let me know the date I'll let my boss know and from there "It's On".

Sean!

20. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Blue,
    Didn't realize April 6th is on a Monday. Are you going to start the scouting trip on the weekend or on Monday? I could take off Mon, Tues, and Wed, but don't know about the whole week. If the trip will start on Sat or Sun then that would be cool. I could come down and fish for 3 or 4 days. If not I may have to wait for late April or early May dates. With it being a long trip I don't want to go down and turn around and come right back. I would really like to make that scouting trip so let me know more details so I can see if I can make it. Thanks.

Sean!