Oswego Dam - Neosho River

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Catmaster, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I went catfishing on the neosho above the Oswego dam yesterday evening for about an hour and a half and caught 3 channel on shad sides and inards. I threw almost right under the bridge next to some hung up brush on the pillars of the bridge. It was the first time I had fished there for at least a year. Looks like I should start fishing there more often. Does anyone else do much fishing down around the Oswego dam besides RED?
    #1 4.6#
    #2 6.7#
    #3 3.1#

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I fish the Neosho below the Chetopa dam. The water was up slightly above normal last weekend....people were still snagging a few spoonbill at the dam.

We put in at the lower boat ramp and went downstream....I caught 4 channel from 8 lb to 14 lb while drifting spoonbill eggs down a riffle into some holes that lie beneath them. (Also lost a whisker hooked channel at the boat that was 20 lb or so)

They were hitting pretty good...especially considering all five fish were hooked in less than 45 minutes.

My fishing buddy caught several nice flathead (15 to 25 lb) last week at the dam while the water was still up on night crawlers.

The whitebass and hybrids (wiper) are still biting. Bet I've seen 10,000 or better whitebass caught by people down at the dam...and that's only while I've been there over the past 3 weeks.

The shad are thick...lots of shiners and chubs as well. Much more than usual on the latter.

The blues will show soon...that's what I'm looking forward to.

In the meantime...I've been catching alot of channel, walleye, crappie, and a few nice largemouth out of the strip pits.

Yesterday, a buddy and myself caught a couple dozen nice largemouth on Terminator in line spinners we started casting after the channel weren't biting.

What's remarkable about the bass biting is that it turned from sprinkles and 55 degrees to 39 degrees and sleet...and we caught more then than when it was warmer earlier in the day.

It snowed last night...and is supposed to be 60 degrees tomorrow!

One thing about Se Ks is that if you don't like the weather...just wait a couple hours or sometimes days and it will be totally opposite of what it's doing now....especially so in the spring.

Good luck to yall...maybe I'll see you guys sometime at Chetopa when the blues show up in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Brian