OSPREY REELS, are they any good ???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by lawnman61, Sep 16, 2006.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I've been searching on ebay for reels and I see alot of the OSPREY baitcaster reels for a pretty good price but am very leary about trying something I've never used for fishing.
    Anyone else use this type of reel ? If so give me some reviews on it please.

Thanks

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Well, they are a real company and make or distrubute other products:

http://www.profish3.com/reel.htm

I've never heard of them. If you need a big bait caster at a reasonable price, get a Penn 9, 209, etc. For spinning reels, almost any of the major companies make good ones for not much money. Osprey may be good as gold, but I doubt many have heard of them. Parts may be a problem also.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Wish I could help but I know nothing about them i have been looking as well :smile2:

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Thats been asked before and I believe they were found to be junk:wink: sorry to good to be true. the okuma classic and classic pros can be bought really cheep on ebay and Id put that reel up against the biggest of cats.:cool2:

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I wouldn't call the Okuma classic a good reel. The one I bought gave out after one trip and it was brand new. I had to repair the clicker and the drag in order to use it.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I know Abu, Penn, Shimano, Daiwa, so stick with them. They come in all price ranges and give great service. Mostly, thats how we all base our recommendations. I'm sure many have had good luck with Shakespeare, Okuma and others, some have not. I had been out of fishing for 10 years before i started back and never heard of Okuma and the Shakespeares I remembered were far behind Abu and Shimano when I fished before. But, I'd get any of them before some off brand just because of price. The question to ask is will the maker stand behind the warranty and, five years down the line, when you need a new pawl or other part, can you get it? Of course, if you are into throw away reels and fishing equipment, that's a different matter.

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I have to agree with you on this. I will only use Shimano reels because I have had an icident with a cheapo reel and figured ya do really get what you pay for if you know what your paying for!

8. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thanks for everyones input on this reel, I'll keep lookin.
    I here that Walmart is going to do away with there fishing tackle, I found an ABU 7000 up there on clearance today for $59.00 but it doesn't have a clicker and the 6600 ABU for $59.64 with a clicker. Some pretty good deals up there today.

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    If they do away with their fishing tackle, they just as well close the doors as far as I'm concerned. That's basically all I go there for:tounge_out:

10. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    i use shimano,, dont know anything about osprey reels

11. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I agree brother, but I think they just stop selling the tackle stuff in the city areas and keep it in the ones by the lakes and rivers.