Oshay and Griggs - Any Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catmaster9786, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Catmaster9786

Catmaster9786 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey everyone, i recently joined the BOC and i love it. It is alot of fun. Anyways i live right near O'shaughnessy and Griggs Reservoirs and was wondering if the two lakes were any good for flatheads, the Scioto River feeds these two lakes so i know that there are some in there but i was wondering if anyone has ever targeted them for flatties, or the river between and around the lakes. Fished Griggs the other night and caught ten channel cats including two that were identical 8 pounders and hooked about a 20 pound flathead (that broke my heart and my line) and it made me curious to know if the lakes were any good for flatties. If you have any information please let me know. Thanks!!!

2. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Tyler! You're gonna love it.I fish Griggs alot and have recently started targeting Flatheads there too. I know there are some big Flatties in there (i've seen pics to prove it) but i don't think the numbers are great.I don't think many people target flatheads there (GOOD! - MORE FOR US:big_smile:) I keep Catching bigger and bigger channels there too and i've lost a few huge ones there recently as well. I haven't fished O'Shay yet this year but it's pretty similar in that they're in there and not heavily fished. I plan to get up there soon.

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    As for flatheads they are in there but you really got to hunt for them. I know the DNR shocks up several every spring in the tall water grass on the north end of O'Shay in the spring when they are doing sunfish surveys. They get them in 1 to 4 ft of water. My guess is they are feeding on the spawning bluegills. I have caught several out of O'Shay but none over 4 lbs. But if there is little ones theres got to be some big mamas in there.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    welcome to the boc, this site is full of good info and great people

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC. You'll find very good answers here for sure.

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Tyler!! :big_smile: