Oshaunessy Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by deerandcathunter, May 15, 2006.

1. deerandcathunter

deerandcathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Went out Friday night inbetween the rains and had a few bites. Caught a 27" fish ohio and and really nice 22" channel. I would venture to guess that it was heavier than the bigger fish. Would the females be full of eggs yet? That's why I was thinking that it was so fat. Anyone else been to OShaunessy? Pictures are posted. Not the best, but not bad for a camera phone.

Attached Files:

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I lived right by that place for years, I wans pretty young though and nobody ever took me fishing...Now I wish I had. We used to carp fish a lot below the dam a few miles, and only once caught a catfish by accident...Nice atch and welcome to the BOC!

3. deerandcathunter

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks IL. I love to fish that stretch of the Scioto. Not a lot of boat traffic and plenty of large channels to be caught. Few Shovelheads in the river, usually see a couple caught every year, but not too many. Hopefully the shovelhead fishing can turn around, but I doubt it. I'm not that lucky.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    is the water condition improving? A lot of the stuff I caught looked pretty bad. We did all catch release stuff looked pretty bad.

5. deerandcathunter

State:
    Ohio
    I haven't seen anything that looked too bad. We will keep a couple 2-3#ers every once and a great while for a dinner and I have never noticed any poor quality of fish. If you go south of Columbus though, the water is considerably worse. Above the zoo doesn't seem to be too bad.

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I lived in a subdivison jsut a couple miles below the dam. I was still north of 161...a lot of the carp were visibily ill.

7. deerandcathunter

State:
    Ohio
    Just a heads up for anyone that fishes Oshaugnessy. The bite was on last night. Started off slow, but the bite turned on with shad guts at sundown. The water was pretty low and current was moving. They must have had the dam gates open. Didn't fish too late, but we caught 6 in the last hour. Nothing huge, but still fun catchin um.

Anyone else fished here lately??????

8. deerandcathunter

State:
    Ohio
    Been out 3 times in the last week and haven't caught much of anything. We caught a few on Sunday morning around 6:00am, but that is it. Has anyone else been experiencing some poor fishing?